Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AM2 vs. 939

Default Re: AM2 vs. 939

Well, there will always be something better, but soon it will become unecessary (like the new Panasonic 103" tv. I mean, it would be cool, but seriously, does anybody really need one?).

When AMD comes out with a new chip, I may wait a couple of years for good hardware compatibility and price drops and then upgrade, but for now, Conroe looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by .Maleficus.
    Well, there will always be something better, but soon it will become unecessary (like the new Panasonic 103" tv. I mean, it would be cool, but seriously, does anybody really need one?).

When AMD comes out with a new chip, I may wait a couple of years for good hardware compatibility and price drops and then upgrade, but for now, Conroe looks good to me.
    "good god i simply must have one" would be the common phrase, everyone wants the next best thing, or something better than someone elses. We have a 42" and more than big enough for DVD movies. I suppose the 103" tv would be good for a pub, i mean, imagine sitting in the pub with a pint, watching the game on that
    My Rig: Silverstonetek TJ07 Black case (4 akasa 120mm amber, 2 akasa 92mm blue)
    ASUS M2N32-SLI nForce 5 / AMD AM2 4800 X2 / XFX 7950GX2 Xtreme 520Mhz
    X-Fi Xtreme Music / 2Gb Corsair, DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 / 150GB WD Raptor
    400GB Barracuda / LiteON 16x DVD+/-RW / Sony DVD Rom 48xCD

This system is protected by Norton IS 2006; The only security suite with a hideous yellow taskbar.
    ¬_¬

Life is like an analogy...

"good god i simply must have one"
    thats the exact reaction anyone would have.

i say get the conroe now, and get the longest benefit possible. who knows what is next, or when... ive completely lost track of it all now. the best AMD has on the horizon is 4x4 and quad core. in the dual core area, they wont touch conroe until at least 2008. but then... im pretty sure intel pledged that a new processor will come out every two years now. maybe by the time amd steps up, intel will have taken another step.

anyways... the conroe extreme model is due out on the 27th, and i dont think the mainstream ones are going to be out that soon. theres a lot of talk about a mid august availability. either way... for the 300 and something dollars for the E6600 (and the already shown overclocking potential)... good value man!

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it

Well, I am an AMD fanboy. I have build 5 machines (2 for myself, 3 for freinds) in the pst 18 months. I build my first one for christmas then. I have put an AMD proc in every single machine, and i haven't heard problems from anyone about them.

The new conroe procs that are coming out really are something though. However i know that AMD is also having mass price cuts on Many of thier procs on that same day to combat the new conroe. The 6400 is a very nice deal. It ran circles around AMD's 5000+ x2.

Here are a couple of articles with many different benchmarks:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/200...cessors/1.html

http://images.dailytech.com/nimage/1...ll_pricing.png

As to wether to go AM2 or 939, my vote is AM2. Simply because i read you will be building this computer in a couple of months, and the life of socket 939 is dying. Definately go AM2, if you go AMD that is