Thread: power switch question

Default power switch question

hi, i am making a mod for my spare junk computer...i am putting it into an old standup style radio. the computer is a pIII...dont know what else (i got it for free from a friend).

what i was wondering is this:

for the powerswitch i wanted to use the original knobs. the switch is a circular toggle(on and off). now, if i do that will i burn up the mobo??? the reason i am asking is because i think the old switch in the computer case was one of the newer ones where it doesnt actually stay pushed in...any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks

Default Re: power switch question

Hmm...it won't burn out the mobo, but you won't get your computer to start. You could try making the switch spring back into the off position, that would work.

Perhaps.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

cool idea...
    could i just turn it on and off real quick like??? kinda ghetto i know...but hey

I'm working on a similar mod in a bakelite radio. Same as you, I want to keep the knobs with an on / off / reset position. I am using a 4 postion/3 pole switch with one of the positions being spring loaded so that it snaps back. I plan to wire the spring loaded position to the reset and the "on" position to the following circuit.

I found a circuit diagram on the12volt and wired one up but have not had a chance to try it with my motherboard yet. The pulse that the 1000 microfarad capacitor gives opens the relay for about 1/4 of a second and it takes about 4-5 seconds to discharge the capacitor through the resistor once power to the circuit is removed. (This is based on simulation, BTW, but the actual circuit seems to match). I'm concerned that the 1/4 second won't be long enough but I'll post back what happens once it's wired in.

The post is here:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=76115&PN=2

Just so you know, I'm not an electronics guru and am learning as I go on this.

you possibly could turn it on and off quickly, I cannot see why it would not work, but you need to remember to flick it off when the pc starts booting or it will shut down again, leaving the switch on it equivalent to holding in the power button on a mobo.
    what I have gathered about mobo switch so far, you might want someone to confirm this.

sorry to bring up this dead thread again, but hey what the heck...i was at radio shack and had an idea for this...i saw a momentary switch. what if i rigged up something that bumped the switch as i turned the "power" on...it would just flick it for a second and then alls good.....

another thing i was thinking when driving in the car (yea, i dont pay much attention to the road, that attention stuff is for losers) is what if i drilled right into the stud for the switches and mounted leds in the center of each dial???that would be awesome!!! any thoughts on how to do this would be much appreciated too, as i have had no experience modding in the past and have limited access to tools (i have a drill and some bits.......)

thanks