Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 2 PSU's?

Fresh Paint

Default Which 2 PSU's?

I'm working on a pc and I should probably order the power supplies soon, so I figured, what better place to come, than here!

The PC is going to feature an Intel Core 2 Extreme, so of course I've got another month to shop around for parts before I get too antsy.

As for the PSU, I need 2. The case is a Lian-Li PC-G70B, so it has more than enough room for the 2 PSU's.

In this computer, I currently have an Ultra X-Connect 500w PSU and I absolutely love it. Having the ability to remove any cables that I don't need leaves the inside of my case immaculate. Therefore, I would love to continue along those lines.

I also would like something quiet. My current psu is fairly silent, and I do plan on adding some soundproofing to the case, so lets try to avoid any satanic noise machines.

Oh, and of course it has to support SLI or any other future power needs.

Finally, I would like to have it in black. If Black Anodized Aluminum is an option, that's a huge plus too.
    Thanks for any suggestions!!!

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Which 2 PSU's?

Do you know what you're doing? Have you ever put two PSUs in the same computer before? I would love to be able to do it, but I was under the impression that it was not possible. How are you going to synchronize them to get them to share the load? If we're talking about the ATX form factor, the motherboard turns on the PSU when you press the power button on the motherboard. But only one PSU can be connected to the ATX connector on the motherboard, which means that only one of your PSUs would come on. This is just one of the many problems I imagine you would have. Is there some way to connect two PSU to make them work as one? I have heard rumors about booster PSU that will be released in coming months, but these fit in 5.25" drive bays and provide a few hundred extra watts of power for your video cards. That doesn't sound like what you're talking about. Did I completely misunderstand your post? If so, please forgive me. What are you talking about?
    They're coming to take me away!

Fresh Paint

Maybe I am wrong. I had imagined that I could use 1 psu for the mobo, video card, and fans, while using the 2nd psu for the 8hdd's I have and DVD-RW.

Maybe I am wrong. I'm not sure! lol

My sugestion would be to get the most powerfull PSU you can find. There is a 1 Killowatt PSU on the market and that should supply you with enough power.

PSU's have a "power good" wire in the atx 20 pin connector. I dont know if it would work but you could try this on a ****ty PSU. Find out wether or not its a positive or a negative wire and route an opposite wire into it then check the molex plugs for power.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Fresh Paint

I did do a mod to a PSU before to use a PSU as a tester for my mods, like fans/cd-roms and whatnot. Maybe that'd work?

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by tohito
    Do you know what you're doing? Have you ever put two PSUs in the same computer before? I would love to be able to do it, but I was under the impression that it was not possible. How are you going to synchronize them to get them to share the load? If we're talking about the ATX form factor, the motherboard turns on the PSU when you press the power button on the motherboard. But only one PSU can be connected to the ATX connector on the motherboard, which means that only one of your PSUs would come on. This is just one of the many problems I imagine you would have. Is there some way to connect two PSU to make them work as one? I have heard rumors about booster PSU that will be released in coming months, but these fit in 5.25" drive bays and provide a few hundred extra watts of power for your video cards. That doesn't sound like what you're talking about. Did I completely misunderstand your post? If so, please forgive me. What are you talking about?

http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chass...S_C_PC-G70.htm

Look at the specs listed there. "Enclosed a cable for turning on two PSU at the same time" I'm not quite sure I have it though. If I do, I don't know what the hell it is. I see the fan wires, and the USB/Firewire/Headphone crap. Thats it.

ATX Mental Case

To make a PSU think its being turned on by the motherboard is simple, you just link the green wire (pin 7 of the atx) to any of the blacks (pin 9 is ideal as it is next to it) This will switch the PSU on. To link two together that would come on using the main switch would be simple aswell. All you would have to do is splice the two green wires from each PSU together and leave everything else alone. When the ATX connector is plugged into the motherboard and the power switch is pressed both greens will be shorted to ground (black wire via the motherboard) and hey presto will switch on together in perfect synchronicity!

As for your new PSU, why not just get another one of what you already have? You say you love it, its quiet ect ect just get another

Fresh Paint

I would, but I'm giving this PC to my girlfriend when the new one is finished, not to mention, this one doesn't support SLI.

ATX Mental Case

Whoever said that it was impossible to use two PSU's was mistaken. It is easy to do all you have to do is jump the wires like FyR said, or get one of these psu starter or one for modular PSU's I don't really know what the difference is, but that gives you the option of having a switch... If you don't want the switch and just want the PSU to be on all the time you could get one of these PSU Jumpers they're nice because you don't have to worry about wires falling out or anything like that.

if you're running 2 PSU's I would also suggest using one for mobo and one for Vid. Card then deviding the load between HDD's it will relieve a lot of stress from the PSU. Also modular PSU's are horrible, but if looks is more important to you than performance go with what you want.
    Visit my site --> Kansas City LAN and Tech Promo Site <--

Asus A8R-MVP
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.64ghz)
    ATI Saphire Radeon X1600 Pro x2 crossfire
    Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL

ATX Mental Case

If your PSU's are modular, i think the supplier may have released some new modules for an SLI setup. If not get an Antec NeoPower, i have one (500W) and its quiet, dual 12v rail for SLI and it looks good.