Thread: General Modding Questions. . .

Default General Modding Questions. . .

I am new to modding, never really having done much modding at all myself.. so I have a few questions.

1) Is there any tutorial that is indepth enough that would make me want to attempt using a laptop screen as a screen for a case? From what I have read it is very difficult because laptop screens use a much different/proprietary interface instead of VGA and the like... (which i never thought about, but yeah it seems obvious). There are SOOO many broken laptops being sold on ebay, and most of which seem to have working screens. If I could truly learn exactly how to convert one for VGA use, it would be amazing. Do you know if there is a certain brand of laptop that is easier to convert/interface into VGA?

2) Also, on that same note.... are there any decently cheap TFT/LCDs that are of decent quality and quite easy(i would like to see a tutorial on it, if it doesnt have a vga port/cable) to hook up via VGA?

3) I really like the "sliding door" idea using old CDROM motors.. But it seems that it is over my head how to do it. I've seen plenty of Project logs, etc that show it being done, but i cant find ANY tutorials anywhere!!

4) I am interested in creating a "media case" to house my PSX, DVD Player, and Stereo, all of which are piled beside my TV. I would like it to be a custom box that those three components can be in. What materials would you suggest?, How easy is it to rewire buttons (from the front of the stereo, dvd player, and psx)?, or is there a mechanical solution ... where you can have buttons on the outside of the case that when pressed, just mechanically press the buttons behind them?....

Sorry to ask so many questions, I am sure I will have more... but... I've been wondering about these various things, and I've had the hardest time googling and trying to get any good info...

Default Re: General Modding Questions. . .

Nice questions, they should get some heads spinning.

Ill answer as best as i can and anyone can add or subtract from my statements.

1. As far as i know there is no way to connect a laptop screen to a vga port. First i would do some homework. VGA connectors have 15 pins. If the monitor has 15 wires you might be in luck.

Does your grafix card only have a vga port? Just about all grafix cards have a DVI port for lcd's

2. I'm pretty sure there are adapters to connect an lcd to a vga port. Again, do some homework.

3. I havent seen a tutorial but it should be fairly easy to hook a dual mode toggle switch to a cd drive motor. The hard part would be finding or making a gear track for the motor to open the door.

4. Humm... It all depends on what equipment you're planning to use. I wouldnt sugjest using a thearter amp because of the mass amounts of heat they create and the heavy components. On the other hand, a bookshelf stereo uses a creativly moulded case to position the components.

Rewireing buttons is simple. Just take it apart and de-soldier the buttons, add some wire and reconnect the button. This probably wouldnt be a good idea for a stereo since some models have 50+ buttons and dials. There is also the "mechanical" solution but thats hard to create from scratch if there are lots of buttons or dials.

As for the case...
    If you have planing to build a component stand and sit your untouched gear inside, i would recomend wood.

If you want to remove the guts from your gear and put them into a custom case, you could weld a chassi from angle iron and attach sheet metal to the outside.

Personally i would buy a decent component stand insted of building one. But since your here, asking, ill take it as you've allready looked into that and arent happy with what you've found.
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

thanks for the replies. i definitely have my homework cut out for me.

Fresh Paint

Cool Re: General Modding Questions. . .

Hey from one noob to another. I was looking for cheap lcd screens too, no joy finding new ones but found a tutorial on how to use a psone screen. They can go pretty cheap on ebay.

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/136/

Fresh Paint

One other note, if you built a media case out of wood or something you could always stealth your dvd player like a giant drive?

You could sign up on Buy.com. They always have LCDs going for relatively cheap (like $190 for 20 inch widescreen). It's cheap for new, but not cheap-cheap. Take your pick.

maximan1

Quote Originally Posted by kingstog
    Hey from one noob to another. I was looking for cheap lcd screens too, no joy finding new ones but found a tutorial on how to use a psone screen. They can go pretty cheap on ebay.

http://www.bit-tech.net/article/136/
    No, not really...

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by maximan1
    No, not really...
    Here's a new one albeit spurious for 20 pounds (about $40 I think) not bad considering the prices on sites like www.earthlcd.com

ATX Mental Case

Quote Originally Posted by maximan1
    No, not really...
    Always full of helpful suggestions maximan1