Thread: Should I Switch My Motherboard to AHCI Mode?

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Should I Switch My Motherboard to AHCI Mode?

My motherboard currently is set to run in IDE mode, and it has been for the entire time that I have used it, and it has functioned perfectly well without any problems, thus far.

However, I have heard that AHCI mode offers options that IDE mode does not, most notably superior performance, especially when the computer is using solid-state drives. My current computer is still using a mechanical hard drive, so would I notice any increase in performance if I switched my motherboard to AHCI mode? Or would switching to AHCI mode completely disrupt my system, since it has been operating in IDE for all this time? What can anyone else here say about this? Also, as a side note, I shall be using a solid-state drive for my next computer, so I shall be certain to switch the motherboard of that system to AHCI mode before I even install the operating system upon it, to ensure that I can gain maximum performance from my next machine.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Should I Switch My Motherboard to AHCI Mode?

The problem is that to switch to ACHI mode you'll need to reinstall windows. Chances are if you go into the BIOS and change it the PC just won't boot. Change it back and it'll boot fine lol

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    The problem is that to switch to ACHI mode you'll need to reinstall windows. Chances are if you go into the BIOS and change it the PC just won't boot. Change it back and it'll boot fine lol
    In that case, should I simply leave my motherboard as it currently is, and be certain to use AHCI mode in my next computer?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Yea that's your best bet. TBH I never noticed a huge difference either way. I've set most of mine up in ACHI but my test bench system is actually setup in IDE and it works just fine

Actually, you can change it, just you need to change a setting in the registry first!

Like this: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    Actually, you can change it, just you need to change a setting in the registry first!

Like this: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676
    If I do that, will I notice any difference in performance with my mechanical hard drive?

Custom Title Honors

probably not.

Only if your hard drive is quite fragmented. Look up NCQ if you're curious, that will be activated if you switch to ACHI mode.
    Antec Sonata II | Pioneer DVR-212
    Good news! You can follow my website or follow me on twitter!

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Having done that registry hack in the past, I can say that I had issues that came up with the system after doing that. I added an SSD and forgot to set it when I built the system so I changed it and I had a number of issues with the mechanical hard drive dropping or hanging. I can't say for sure that it was caused by that change but that hard drive worked fine in another system after. AHCI also adds hot-swapping in addition to NCQ, which may or may not be of use to you. By the sounds of things though, I would wait until a re-install to do the change
    TheMainMan

Yes, you should switch to AHCI Mode as ssd runs faster on it, But the fact is you have to reinstall or boot windows.