Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing Heatsink

Anodized

Default Changing Heatsink

Ok, i took my watercooling CPU cooler of the CPU to change it with a Arctic Alpine 64 heatsink, once i put the motherboard back in the case and start the sytem up nothing comes on the screen and the num lock, scroll lock and caps lock buttons all stay on for about 15 seconds untill the pc turns itself off.

All thats pluged in is the two power cords to the mobo, one stick of RAM and the CPU fan on the heatsink.

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 3800+
    PSU: Hiper Type-R SLi 580W

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ATX Mental Case

Default Re: Changing Heatsink

Sometimes if nothing is plugged into the cpu fan power slot, the mobo will shut itself down on boot to protect the cpu from overheating.

Anodized

the fan is pluged into the CPU fan slot, and the VGA card is now in and nothing appears on the screen. Also when i turn the switch on the PSU on the pc starts up, i dont have to push the power button on the case, this is the first time it has been like this. So it turns itslef on then the keyboad lights stay on and the pcn shutsdown after 15 seconds. I cannot turn the pc on by the switch on the case although it is plugged into the mobo.

Anodized

ok, i took the heatsink off and turned the pc on with no CPUin and no ram in and nothing came on the screen and the caps lock etc didnt light up at all. Then with the CPU in and ram in the caps lock button stay on but nothing comes on the screen. Would a message come on the screen if the cpu wasnt it, if it should then iots a mobo problem correct?

ATX Mental Case

from my experance nothing will be displayed on the screen if the CPU is removed because it is needed for POST (correct me if im wrong).

not to scare you but that sounds alot like what happend to me when i tosted my BIOS but the falure of any nessary componant could cause the computer to do this.

the advice i can offer is to listen for any beeps, this can tell you what part of the compuer is functioning incorectly. also look at your CPU and see if you notice anything visualy wrong with it, it could have been damaged when you changed your HS. the cause my also be related to a fulty heat sensor that is reading too high and causing the motherboard or PSU to cut power

Anodized

ok, theres no beeps, nothing visualt wrong with the CPU and if i take the ram out i can get the pc to run without turning off but nothing on the screen.

Anodized

now i thought of it, i never earthed myself before i took my mobo out of the case and the psu switch was still on when i took the mobo out.

Quote Originally Posted by synapz
    All thats pluged in is the two power cords to the mobo, one stick of RAM and the CPU fan on the heatsink.
    where is your HDD?

You had to have grounded yourself at some point while removing the mobo. Remember the doctor game where you have to get the butterflys out of his gut without hitting the side and setting of the alarm? Its hard not to touch somthing metal when its in a tight metal case.

Was the cpu securley fastened in its cozy socket? All cards and memory properly incerted into there slots?

Could you have accidently removed a jumper from your board (somtimes thoes lil suckers dont stay tight)?

It is possible when installing the heatsinc to put such a a force on it as to crack the cpu.

Thermal paste in the socket?
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Anodized

my HDD is in a case at the top of my pc.

The CPU is secure.

There is no jumper the CMOS is reset by a button.

No, the CPU is absolutly fine.

Maybe the motherboard took a knock.

The only way to find out is to get a new mobo and if that dun work its the CPU

Also i forgot to turn the PSU off so i took the connections out of the mobo etc and took the mobo out of the case with the PSU's power switch on.

not a very good thing to do....