Thread: Project: Neo ( A mountable small computer on any LED or LCD TV's or Monitors.)

Fresh Paint

Default Project: Neo ( A mountable small computer on any LED or LCD TV's or Monitors.)

Hi guys, its my first post here in TCBS and I hope that some of you can give insights and ideas on my Project.

OK, I will start by telling the background of my project. It is called Project: Neo because it came from the brand name of my laptop which will I be using.

I had a laptop about 4 years ago now and it seemed pretty descent just looking at its specs. It is dual core processor and build in gpu is 256mb and RAM with 2GB.. A laptop is very important to me with my work and some leisure (online and offline games). But then just 2 years after I bought it, my 1 1/2 year old son
    forced closed the monitor with a solid mouse slider on top of it and so the monitor broke and from that time on it had not been used because I opted to buy a new one with better specs.. So that's it, sorry if it's too long for a background..

So with the real deal. I have salvaged the motherboard of my Neo laptop and keep every other parts in place for failure purposes of the project.
    With the motherboard being thinner in size compared to desktop mobo's, I thought that I can make a new case for it which will be thinner and lighter to desktops and be able to integrate it any monitor or TV at the back..

Here's my idea, I have not made any concept model because I don't know how to use sketchup and I might have other ideas sprang up each day so I just keep the concept on my mind.

So, what I want to do is build a new case which will be made mostly of aluminum and acrylic or plexi glass, anything that is see through and available in my country the cheapest.
    The front side will be the glass part which I thought to put a large fan on it and be able to see the system.
    The sides would be covered in aluminum too and holes for the I/O devices
    The back side is what I'm having a problem thinking. I want the back of this case be able to be hanged on the back of LED/LCD Monitor/TV. Or another idea is to buy a new 14" or 15.6" monitor and integrate it with the case or put an overlay on it so it will become multitouch..

I hope you give time to read my thread and post some ideas or feedback on mu projects. It would be very helpful to me. For now I'm on the process of finding places where to get my needed material in a cheap price(aluminum and the plexi glass part)

Default Re: Project: Neo ( A mountable small computer on any LED or LCD TV's or Monitors.)

Sounds like a fun project.

Welcome to the forums!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Project: Neo ( A mountable small computer on any LED or LCD TV's or Monitors.)

Yay,I thought I will get a reply a few more hours later. Thanks for the welcome. This forum has active moderators. I hope others can give more inputs on my idea. I'm not sleeping well this past few days because of thinking of this project(it's simple but for me it's big, I have no experience on works like these I just loved computers.)
    Don't worry about me because it's vacation time in my country and nothing else to do except wait for my salary to come w/o working that is.

Custom Title Honors

there should be mounting holes in the back of the tv for wall mounting. i'd just make a bracket that can utilize those mounting holes.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i'm with xr4 man on this one. the problem is, you screw into a vesa mount. maybe make a mount to adapt to the case that screws into the vesa mount? also, you want to be very careful how far out it is, or make a bigger base. a.k.a. just make sure it won't topple over easily.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

BTW: there are already mounts on the market that adapt right onto the back of a monitor. I will see if I can find part numbers and sources, but they are really cheap. One we will be using for a customer only screws into the top 2 screws. Works with 90% of the monitors out there too.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Fresh Paint

I've started working on this project and as expected, many unexpected problems came and I'm having a hard time figuring out what to do. i will post a picture of it soon, the camera I used is still not here. Well, here are few of my problems.
    1. I don't know how I would put my cover cases since there are bulges from the rivets.
    2. I can't think of something on how to fasten the dvd rom since there are no screw holes for it.

Custom Title Honors

servo tape could help with the dvd rom