Thread: First scratch build, looking for some advice.

Fresh Paint

Default First scratch build, looking for some advice.

So I've been going to flee markets and garage sales looking for some stupid cheap computer parts to build a HTPC for fun. Finally it's time to begin designing and building the case for it. Been playing around with acrylic samples for a couple weeks now and have finally got to the point where I'm comfortable going forward with a completed build.

The mobo I found was a Gigabyte E350D and after some searching I also came across a slimline optical drive, 2.5" HDD, ram, etc that all work together. The only thing that I'm missing is the case (which I'm building) and a PSU. I was looking at the PicoPSU's and was wondering if that was going to be enough power to run everything (highest I found was 160W). Also was a bit worried about heat. In the design phase I came out with a layout like this:

Red = HDD
    Purple = slimline optical drive
    Green/Grey = MOBO/CPU

Could get it a little smaller with a rearrangement of the drives underneath but I like the idea of having it be a square. Arranged like that with the PicoPSU, I could build a case sized at around 200x200x60(mm), but that would put the top of the case about 5-10mm away from the cpu fan. Didn't know if that would be enough room for heat without any fans. There is a little room for a few 40mm fans in the case at that size, so I could add them in if needed. Any help would be appreciated. Figured after all parts for the case and the PSU it would be around $150, not too bad for a little project to kill some time.

Short version:
    1) 160W PicoPSU work for E350D, slimline optical DVD, 2.5 HDD?
    2) For the E350D how much room should a leave above the CPU fan?

Default Re: First scratch build, looking for some advice.

You should look at the antec isk110 for some design ideas. Its a tiny vesa mounted case with HDD mounted below the mono and the top side of the case is entirely mesh which is why it doesn't overheat in a small case without fans. Helps that its just a htpc case that shouldn't be doing anything much.

Do you know what materials you will be using yet?

Edit: oh and yes the PSU will be more than plenty, there are htpc builds with less powerful pico PSUs the requirements of the e350d aren't much.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    You should look at the antec isk110 for some design ideas. Its a tiny vesa mounted case with HDD mounted below the mono and the top side of the case is entirely mesh which is why it doesn't overheat in a small case without fans. Helps that its just a htpc case that shouldn't be doing anything much.

Do you know what materials you will be using yet?
    Yeah, I'll be using acrylic. 1/4" for the bottom and 1/8" for the sides/top is what I'm thinking. The top and side venting was planned all along and I could always add some 40mm fans to have better air flow, one or two on each side should be plenty even for a normal use comp. Was just trying to make the HTPC as quite as possible. Design would look something like this:

oh and yes the PSU will be more than plenty, there are htpc builds with less powerful pico PSUs the requirements of the e350d aren't much.
    Thanks. I didn't think it would be an issue but honestly didn't know what to look at to know what would be enough. Saw other builds that were using the 90W version but for $10 more why not just be sure that there's enough. Most posts I saw about the same topic said that the 90W would be pushing it.

Personally i would look at having more airflow from the top of the case and if you get something like 180x180mm DEMCi Flex Fan Filter you could mount it on the top of the case perfectly. looking very very neat too.

Fresh Paint

Hmmm if I could shrink down the case so that would be the "lid". It might work out just fine. I'll have to do a scratch cardboard build to see if it could fit in that size, judging by memory it should fit.

Thanks for the input. Really appreciate the help.

Shh there is also a 200x200mm size too so you could keep your current dimensions.

Fresh Paint

Nice!