Thread: Dlink questions for setup

Default Dlink questions for setup

I have a wonderful boy who just can't help himself with being on the computer thats in his room when he is supposed to be asleep. That being said, I can't remove it from the room and place it somewhere else, as i just simply do not have the room. So, my idea is to shut down the internet to that computer, from 9pm to 9am. Problem is, im stupid weak in the networking settings of the router, and every other time i've tried to attempt this, I somehow lock up the entire internet and tick off the family. now, i can get in just fine, yaknow, with the whole 192.168.0.1 ip, and get into the settings, but really no clue as to what to do from there. I would greatly appreciate any and all help with this! BTW if you do, could you try to type it out like your giving your grandfather directions?
    Not all who mod are modders...

Default Re: Dlink questions for setup

What model do you have?

Basically I have done something similar, and restrict based on the MAC address not IP.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

It's a DIR-815.

Let me go through the manual a bit to see if I can understand then explain it.

(unless someone else jumps in more familiar with this device).

OK, this should be fairly easy (I think).

First you need to find the computers MAC address that you want to control. This can be found on the computer by typing "ipconfig /all" (listed as "physical address"). Go through the manual to learn how to connect to the device (which you already know) and then you want to get into the "advanced" settings tab (on the top) and then go into the "Network Filters" selection on the left. Remember to select "Turn MAC Filtering ON and DENY computers listed to access the network" from the drop down menu. This is where a lot of people select the wrong setup and instead of denying one computer, they allow only one computer and the rest of the computers disconnect. On page 53 of the manual above, it shows the Network Filter page and how to set it up. It does not show a screen of the schedule setup, so you will have to figure that one out. It should be intuitive what to set it up as. Just remember that you are adding a computer to the DENY list and the times in the schedule are the times that computer will be denied access.

Let me know if this helps!

testing it now....hopefully i did it right LOL!