Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom walnut inlaid flash drive

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Default Custom walnut inlaid flash drive

I've got this drive up on Etsy, wanted to post a link here in case anyone was interested. It's hand-made and one of a kind, would make a great gift for the discerning geek in your life.

The Etsy page can be found here.

Feedback is always appreciated, what if anything would you want to see in handmade tech like this?
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Default Re: Custom walnut inlaid flash drive

That is beautiful!! I can vouch that the craftsmanship on these are incredible. Pictures honestly can not do them the justice they deserve. They look absolutely fantastic. I was able to get my hands on one and the fit and finish is just awesome!

Here are some pictures of mine

The way the light reflects off of the wood is just amazing and the pictures can't really capture just how nice these are.

If you can't tell by the above verbiage, I REALLY REALLY like mine!

Great work Blue!

Thanks! Really glad you like it.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Can it be taken apart, can different USB internals be swapped into the cool wooden chassis? Or is it sealed up in a way which makes damage to the wood unavoidable?
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Can it be taken apart, can different USB internals be swapped into the cool wooden chassis? Or is it sealed up in a way which makes damage to the wood unavoidable?
    You could possibly ask the seller if you could send in your own usb for use.

Great question, it is a completely sealed unit, no way it will ever come apart except in pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    You could possibly ask the seller if you could send in your own usb for use.
    That is possible but unless you have something really exotic it might be easier to simply request a specific brand/model/capacity in a new drive.

I'd love to get one, but I'm thinking that flash memory capacities basically double every year or two; 8GB just isn't going to cut it for very long, even now I'm using 16GB and looking for 64GB.

I'm also leery about how well it would survive going through the laundry (this has happened to me several times, now I pack potting compound into my USB sticks). I guess careless nerds don't get to have good stuff, lol.

It's a shame though. The detail work on that wooden finish looks very impressive.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

I'd love to get one, but I'm thinking that flash memory capacities basically double every year or two; 8GB just isn't going to cut it for very long, even now I'm using 16GB and looking for 64GB.

I'm also leery about how well it would survive going through the laundry (this has happened to me several times, now I pack potting compound into my USB sticks). I guess careless nerds don't get to have good stuff, lol.

It's a shame though. The detail work on that wooden finish looks very impressive.
    I agree on the capacity issue, I doubt I'll be making any more 8GB models. I'll be using more USB 3.0 drives also. With prices dropping and their backward compatibility there's really no reason not to.

As for the laundry, no they would not likely fare very well.

Careless nerds can have good stuff, we just don't seem to keep it very long.

Wait you make these Bob? Damn I want to see this incorporated into a case mod. That kind of detailed wood inlay as an entire case would look awesome.

Yeah, I make these, and I had planned to do something along those lines for the ongoing ECS Modmen competition until the transmission in my van quit and gobbled up my budget.