Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Custom Watercooled Desk PC 2013

Fresh Paint

Default Re: Custom Watercooled Desk PC 2013

Wasn't sure how interested people would be in seeing the CAD drawings but thought I'd at least upload it for those who might want to see it.

Below is the layout I've sent to be cut. There are 6 sheets of 2440mm x 1220mm, 3 at 15mm deep, 1 at 18mm and 2 at 3mm. Each sheet has several of the pieces nested onto it to try and save as much wood as possible but as you can see there is loads of wood there :sigh:.

I've not really played with CAD much but I had so much fun doing this. When it came to doing it in Sketchup having the CAD drawing done it was actually a really good exercise to make sure all the pieces fitted. I had to make a couple of minor adjustments but everything was pretty much spot on.

Hey. Looks great. Similar to what I do with the laser cutter at school on a regular basis, only much bigger.

Fresh Paint

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Hey. Looks great. Similar to what I do with the laser cutter at school on a regular basis, only much bigger.
    Haha it's huuuuge but I was being greedy having 3 23" monitors so needed to be

Fresh Paint

Sorry guys it's been ges since I put an update on but the company cutting the wood for free were very busy and only got round to it last week.

So anyway I finally got all the parts delivered on Friday and spent Sunday drilling holes and assembling as much as I could.

Here are a few pics that I took.

Just some of the wood lying around, In this pic i've already manually routed length ways ready for my sliding doors.

Holes drilled for cam locks and dowels for all my side panels.

My Shelving and cabinet bases ready to be routed for the cam locks.

Assembly time!!!!

Right cabinet assembled and mounted

I got a bit too into the assembly at this point and and forgot to take more pictures lol but here is the main frame fully assembled. The long thin panel that sticks out at the back was too tight a fit so i'm going to shave 1mm off all around the edge to help it slot into place.

Left cabinet where the main components will be and the m/board will sit in the top bay.

Holes for the fans where my cooling will be.

Here you can see my sliding rear panels in action, ignore the hole going all the way through, i didn't put the smaller panel in place as i was running out of time.

Finally the left view with a fan hole for taking air out.

There still loads of work to do but I'm really pleased with it so far and extremely happy that other than a couple of small ajustments the whole thing went together easily.

Oh btw the glass you can see is on the desk at the moment is just some spare stuff my dad had in his garage that roughly fitted the slot so just put it there to get a rough idea of the end result.

Next I need to build the monitor housing and buy myself an actuator to lift it, should be fun so will update you when doing that.

Fresh Paint

Just a quick update to say I’ve got my actuator and linear rails ordered to raise the monitor housing

I've ordered a heavy duty 500mm Stroke actuator with manual controller (Which will be modified).

The rails I've ordered are also 500MM and will just guide the monitor housing when it's being raised/lowered.

Once it arrives in a few days I’ll create a little video of the actuator working.

Fresh Paint

Project on hold - Sorry

I don't know how I missed these updates. This is looking awesome! Too bad to see it on hold. Hopefully you'll be able to resume soon.