Thread: Rip videos to disk?

Default Rip videos to disk?

Hey all, I am not quite sure what I am looking for yet, but here is an idea of what I am trying to accomplish;

I have my home server setup nicely, have ripped all of my CD's to it and now it is time to rip all of my videos to it. Not all of them are movies, rather 95% of them are either music video disks or concerts (I do have a few movies like The Wall, Heavy Metal, etc).

It is nice to be able to create play lists for my CD's on the home server and be able to use them on any device (including the TV or Blueray player) and I would like the same functionality for my videos.

I have been ripping some of the dvd's to disk, but it rips them into separate video and audio files with all of the menu stuff and interlude or transition stuff which I don't need. I just cannot point my normal dvd playing software to that directory and have it play properly. It would be nice to be able to keep the quality of the files and rip them into a single file for each video. I would still like to fire up the Incubus Alive at Red Rocks concert and have it play in it's entirety like it did on the original dvd.

I am just not sure what I can get away with and was wondering if anyone here can school me on what I can and cannot do and what software I will need to make it happen.

Thanks in advance!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Rip videos to disk?

If you got a Linux box, I love AcidRip. Only problem is it's got a bug where it mixes up the CC file. Easiest way to get around it is put the CC in a separate file, then delete it. However, it does produce a nice quality .avi file.

Also, from what I've poked around in it, I haven't seen a "quality" slider, but a "approximate file size" slider.

(I know, it backdoors the encryption, thus making piracy easier. However, this should fall under "I own a physical copy; it's fair use".)
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    If you got a Linux box, I love AcidRip. Only problem is it's got a bug where it mixes up the CC file. Easiest way to get around it is put the CC in a separate file, then delete it. However, it does produce a nice quality .avi file.

Also, from what I've poked around in it, I haven't seen a "quality" slider, but a "approximate file size" slider.

(I know, it backdoors the encryption, thus making piracy easier. However, this should fall under "I own a physical copy; it's fair use".)
    Hmm, never thought about "legal" issues.

I know most of the dvd's don't have any drm though and yes it does fall under the fair use policy.

I will check out acidrip, thanks.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

If there is no copy protection to worry about, I suggest you try out Fairuse wizard (for windows) - I actually bought the full version as the free one is limited to a max output size of 700mb but the quality and speed do just great for me - you can set filesize target, output resolution and compression ratio (well you only get to set two of the three heh - the third is a result of the first two really)

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Custom Title Honors

i like to use dvdshrink. it makes nice iso images of dvds.

I also use DVDShrink. I output a straight .VOB file of the movie. No loss of quality there. But the files are pretty large (+/- 4GB).
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Handbrake!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro