Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife wants an Xbox

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Wife wants an Xbox

My wife wants an Xbox, she thinks the Kinect will be good exercise for the kids during the winter. I never used an Xbox and know nothing about it. My questions are:

Is the 4GB model enough? We will be buying disks and using the Kinect mostly. I will not game on it, that's why I have a $3K PC. We will absolutely not use it for Netflix or whatever else it does.

Is Xbox live worth the price? Are the games cheaper to download (then I'll have to have the 250GB version) vs buy in a store?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: Wife wants an Xbox

what hard drive does it use and can you replace it?

an old roommate had a ps3 and we found out it just used a laptop sata hard drive, so we got a cheap 160g drive and replaced it. then the os on the internal rom formatted it and everything. maybe the xbox is similar?

hmm, i wonder if you could just replace the hdd with a ssd and make it quick quick quick?

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

I only buy discs. I like having the media since my internet sucks.

I have found the 4gb to be fine and just use discs and would say you would more easily find a disc on sale before you find it on sale in the Xbox marketplace.

It is also possible to chip and use your own external harddrive otherwise you'll need official. Not as nice to mod as the orriginal Xbox which was damn friendly with mods.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

If you need extra storage space, the Slim 360 has a laptop SATA connector. Sure, it requires special firmware on the drives, but it's there.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I have the 4gb model, and it's constantly out of space. Even the free demos on Xbox live are upwards of 700mb, most are over 1gb.

If you get the 4gb model, you can purchase the drive separately later on to upgrade.

I got mine with the Kinect, and the kids love it. My wife and I both use the fitness and dance games too, plus it's soooo much better for FPS games than a Wii.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

to answer your questions. no, 4 gb will not be enough. you can use a sata caddy with your own hard drive after flashing it with the xbox firmware. another option is get a 16gb or 32gb flash drive and format it. thats what i did for a while.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Can't you use USB drives with the xbox 360 now for storage? I have an old 20gb 360 and never filled the HDD. get a 16gb USB drive and you will be golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    another option is get a 16gb or 32gb flash drive and format it. thats what i did for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    Can't you use USB drives with the xbox 360 now for storage? I have an old 20gb 360 and never filled the HDD. get a 16gb USB drive and you will be golden.
    yes. like i said, i did that for a while
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

The games are not typically cheaper to download than to buy in store. They're very nearly the same price if there's any difference at all.

Occasionally you can catch a sale and maybe even on a game you want, but that's only if you check the sale section often enough.

Plus, you're paying for the Live subscription fee, which is about $50 a year.

So are you going to save by buying games online? Likely not, in my opinion. Maybe if you were a heavy user, but that doesn't sound like it's going to be the case for you.

Is the 4GB model enough? I'm honestly not sure, so I can't comment on that. But your cheapest option, where buying new is concerned, is to get the 4GB w/Kinect model for $250 and then buy the HDD (for 360 slim model) for about $50, bringing the total to around $300. Whereas if you buy the all-included pack, you'll be paying more around $400. To buy each piece separately you'll pay about $370 total.

You could always buy from Craigslist, of course. Also keep in mind that if you're not going to use the wireless function, you could buy an older 360 model (they don't have wifi built-in) and then buy the kinect equipment for about $100. Altogether, that should run you no more than $250 at most. You'll probably pay around $200 on average, though. Unless you get lucky.

TL;DR - No, Live is not worth the price in your situation. The 4GB will likely be enough for the time being, but you may need to buy an HDD sometime down the road. Take that with a grain of rice, as I've never had less than 160GB on my XBOX's.