Thread: help

Default help

hey guys i just moved a pc into a differnt room and when i booted it up i got the error message NTLDR is missing press any key to restart. i have never seen this before so dont have a clue why it has come up or how o fix it could someone please tell me the answer.

thanks JSB

Dude...totally!

Default Re: help

It sounds like this page should help you fix whatever the hell happened when you moved your pc.

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes...dr_missing.htm

EDIT: BTW, not to be rude or anything, but did you even try looking this up on google? the link i sent you was listed as the third search result for the letters NTLDR.

Default reged just 2 help

hey dude the link buddy just gave you likely will not help in anyway what so ever where as that the page has only info about how to fix it if there was a change performed to your system.

This not being the case from what you said, In my experiences (too many to count on this scenario) its a good chance you lost the NTLDR by a light bump (or a good smack.)

If you have any experience with Linux i would suggest that you try a Live distro such as Knoppix 4 or 5 to locate and back up any stuff needed and try a reinstal of windows after blowing off your HDD partitions in winXP setup.

If you dont have experience with (Or dont know what) Linux even is forget it its likely not worth it.

If you do not need anything that is on the hard drive skip the whole knoppix thing and go ahead and blow those nasty messed up partitions away.

Remember that you must reboot the system after blowing off the partitions and then create new ones and perform a full format rather than Quick format.

Good luck n Ill check in incase you run into prob's.

D'Oh

hmm.. i've seen a problem like this before.. maybe it is the same..
    i usually got this after either a bad overclock on my previous mobo or when.. well.. moving my pc around
    quick fix.. boot with the xp install cd and when you see the recovery console or repair console thingie(can't remeber the name right, but definitley not the first time u see it!) go into the console mode.. it does .. something.. and then win boots normally.. sometimes.. if it doesn't.. do this again and type fixboot or fixmbr (carefull though!).. this can help or can in the worst case screw all the hdd data and erase your partitions...

(after a few experiences with this i learned that keeping separate partitions for things is quite valuable: 10gigs for windows, 10 gigs for kits and backups, 10 gigs for my programs(not program files, but stuff that needs to be easily recovered in case something goes wrong.. like my *.max or *.3ds..), 80 gigs for data and 80 more gigs for games only.. this way i can easily run a defrag say on the games partition because it is more fragmented than the one with music.. while listening to music ..and then you can easily repair or reinstall win.. you can even make some scripts to do custumizations each time you install win.. and burn them and the installation files on a dvd.. kinda like a linux distribution.. read more about it.. it's useful if you have patience.. i kinda went overboard with this and not even a double layer fits my needs now, so i'm extracareful and pack several dvds.. although i haven't had a major problem for a while now, thank god)

|Projects: =N0Name= =Tensa case= || Life: waiting for the download to be completed... BSOD"|

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

NTLDR is like boot.exe =p

anywho, either format and re-install windows, or do the one that re-installs everything that broke =p

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

I am always going to peoples desks at work to fix this problem. We probably get about 6 tickets a week on this problem. 99.9% of the time, its because there is a non-bootable floppy disk in the floppy drive. I'm not saying that is your particular problem.. but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Good luck..

O, in my eyes, IGNORE all these options,

Find your windows XP CD, insert, and begin setup, when you get given the option, Press "R" to restore windows, this will then start a recovery console (You need to know your administrator Password)

then type the following commands (REplacing X with your drive letter, normally D)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recovery console commands
    x:
    cd i386
    copy NTLDR c:\
    (Yes to over write)
    shutdown -r
    That should restore your NTLDR and allow you to start windows again.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

thanks u guys ovride its not a floppy i checked that first and thanks xcom for such a detailed answer i will try that now

Your welcome, BTW, you can't use recovery console if administrator dosen't have a password,

I would ALWAYS recommend Administrator having a password for security reasons.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!