Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a New Television Set?

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Default Re: Recommendations for a New Television Set?

just take a look through the black friday ads. i am sure there will be a few out there.... i think blackfriday.com has almost all of them
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    I am seeking a model with a screen size between 30 inches and 40 inches and ideally, less than $400 in price, if that is possible. For the display type, I am seeking an LCD screen, as LED screens are still slightly too expensive presently, and plasma screens, from my research, are too inefficient in terms of power consumption and heat generation.

What recommendations can anyone here make? I shall greatly appreciate any feedback that anyone here can offer, and I await your responses.
    No problem! Not only will I do that for you, but I will list only LED televisions while I'm at it!

Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV - $330

Samsung UN40EH5000 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV - $430

Samsung UN32EH4003 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED HDTV - $250

And just in case you're interested... Though it's not LED.

VIZIO E3D320VX 32-Inch Class Theater 3D LCD HDTV with Internet Apps - $300

It's amazing how affordable high quality HDTV's are these days!

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTeaPot View Post
    No problem! Not only will I do that for you, but I will list only LED televisions while I'm at it!

Samsung UN32EH5000 32-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV - $330

Samsung UN40EH5000 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV - $430

Samsung UN32EH4003 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LED HDTV - $250

And just in case you're interested... Though it's not LED.

VIZIO E3D320VX 32-Inch Class Theater 3D LCD HDTV with Internet Apps - $300

It's amazing how affordable high quality HDTV's are these days!
    Wow, those are excellent deals for excellent models; I thank you very much for those recommendations!
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

I cant say enough good things about Sharp either! My 37" Aquos is now 6+ years old, and still looks as good as the day it was new! And I bought it because it was the best picture in the whole freakin' store.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

my wife and I just upgraded from a 27" CRT to a 47" LG 3D LED LCD unit. We got it from Walmart online with a sound bar and 3D glassed for $800. We ditched the sound bar as we've already got a home theater setup but the LED and 3D is awesome

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

LED is awesome! I've got a 40" Sammy TV, the extremely lucky $600 price tag 3 years ago.

I just recently got a 21.5" Acer LED. Thing barely gets warm to the touch.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Ultimately, my brother and I purchased this television set, here, and we are immensely satisfied with it, as are our parents. It is a noticeable improvement over our previous television in term of power consumption and image quality, and it is definitely future-proof, as it has HDMI ports for when we eventually upgrade our regular DVD player to a blu-ray disc player, although we may not do that for some time yet. Our parents are pleased with it, and, by extension, so are my brother and I.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Congrats! You'll love the upgrade to blu-ray when you make it. The difference is like going from black and white to color or from mono to stereo sound. It's huge.

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Congrats! You'll love the upgrade to blu-ray when you make it. The difference is like going from black and white to color or from mono to stereo sound. It's huge.
    I am certain that upgrading from standard DVD to blu-ray disc shall be a significant upgrade, but I doubt that it shall be as major an upgrade as you proclaim it to be, if you do not mind me saying so, because while blu-ray discs are certainly more advanced than standard DVD's, they are simply the same optical discs with higher storage capacities. That is merely an improvement of an existing format, and not a fundamental change of format itself, as are upgrading from VHS to DVD, from audio cassettes to audio CD's, from floppy disks to flash drives, from a CRT television or computer monitor to an LCD unit, from dial-up internet to Ethernet, or from a mechanical hard drive to a solid-state drive. Again, I hope to not sound rude, and I am certain that blu-ray shall be an improvement over DVD, I doubt that it shall be a ground-breaking a change as was DVD over VHS.

I haven't made the jump to Blu-Ray yet either. My upconverting 1080p DVD player works extremely well, and makes all my existing plastic discs look pretty decent. It also upconverts all the stuff I have for my son to watch on a 1TB portable USB drive. I will eventually make the move as the price of the players is heading into much more reasonable territory, and the price of Blu-Ray discs appears to be heading into similar range as DVD. $15 for a movie on Blu-Ray is reasonable to me. $30+ for one, out of my budget.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin