Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still learning...

Default Still learning...

Hello to all. I recently decided that it was about time I did what I always said I wanted to do, which is to mod a case by hand. It's certainly not anything fancy , nor does it have anymore than a color-based theme, but it's made me appreciate the true value of a workshop.

It's pretty much just a basic cut n' paint job. Used a dremel with circle cutter attachment to cut out a hole in the side of the case where a fan can be mounted, and right now I'm in the process of painting the whole thing black. I have been coming to terms with the differences between what I would like to do and what I am physically capable of doing, so let me know if I'm asking for too much in my questions.

In regards to the paint, I decided to try out the glossy black Krylon Fusion. The main attraction for the spray paint is ease of use. I don't really have a work area, so as far as painting goes, I'm a little limited in choices. Bottomline, I sanded the sides of the computer case (which I'm starting to believe was my first mistake), and I've already applied about 4 coats to the sides. However, I'm noticing that there seem to be some spots that reflect more light than others, and I'd like for this to NOT happen. I was thinking that maybe applying the spray-on polyurethane would help...or maybe I just need more coats of the Krylon Fusion.....your thoughts.

The second question I have pertains to adding lights to the inside of the case. Basically I'm just wondering if pink cold cathodes exist...anywhere. I've read the reviews of some red cold cathodes at newegg that are more pinkish than red, but I'd like to go with a sure thing, if it actually exists.

Thanks in advance for any time you can take to offer a reply.
    Every member of humanity is a nerd in some respect. We all just need to dispense with the bull**** and own our inner nerd.

Water Cooled

Default Re: Still learning...

welcome to the forums!
    you did the painting good, you just need to sand it a little with a 1500 or 2000grit sandpaper and use a clear topcoat with some polish wax on top. the reason why its shiny in one spot and not the other is because the paint wasnt applied evenly so you need to sand for a nice even coating. heres a great guide on painting: http://modthebox.com/paintguide.shtml

Im yet to see pink cold cathodes. you are right, some cheaper red cathodes have a pink colour but i dont think they make specificly pink ones. and why do you want pink? just not an other girl in the modding community?

Quote Originally Posted by Frakk
    and why do you want pink? just not an other girl in the modding community?
    Yes, scary though it may be, I am of the XX chromosome variety . And I'll tell ya the full story about my color preference. Blue is actually *my* color. I really adore blue. However, I also desire something...different, ya know? Something that would stand out. And as cool as blue is, everytime I go to our local LAN, at least 2 of my buddies have essentially the same case: Black paint, blue lights. Don't get me wrong here, it looks awesome, but I don't just want the "black case/blue light" thing. I'd like something that'll stand out a bit.

Plus I really think there's just some sort of sexy nerdy girl thing associated with the pink lights. I don't know...call me crazy...but that's what I want.

And btw, thanks ever so much for the link about the paint job. I'm anxious to take a look at it.
    Every member of humanity is a nerd in some respect. We all just need to dispense with the bull**** and own our inner nerd.

Overclocked

nothing wrong with pink.

You may want to look into white CCFLs and wrap them in a pink, clear plastic.
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Water Cooled

Plus I really think there's just some sort of sexy nerdy girl thing associated with the pink lights.
    I agree, pink can look really good on girls if applied right. you can make pink ccfl out of white as fishies said, experiment with different wraps. pink or purple would do the trick.

That's a hell of an idea. Admittedly, I can't really think of anything other than just pink saran wrap, so if that's just fine to use well then hey, all the better. However, if you do have other recommendations, I'm absolutely all ears. Thanks again for the advice.

Overclocked

any craft store will have an assortment of seran film in different colours.
    -=-=-=-=-
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Anodized

Studio Gels are definately available in pink for very cheap. Wrap a white cathode with one and SHAZAM!, instant pink light anywhere you need it.

Studio Gels are usually better than Saran Wrap because they're more designed for that purpose (stage lighting), and will last you forever.

But are the gels transparent enough and the CCFL bright enough to adequately light up the case? I only ask because I would imagine stage lights to be much much brighter than a CCFL, but that could be the inexperience talking.

Overclocked

I never thought of studio gels. Brilliant.

They will be transparent enough. They are meant to alter light colour.
    -=-=-=-=-