Thread: Removing an Optical Disc from a Slot-Loading Player

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Removing an Optical Disc from a Slot-Loading Player

Today, I used the CD player in my car, and while it functioned perfectly, the drive would not eject the disc. When I pressed the eject button, the device made a whirring sound, as if it were attempting to eject the disc, but the disc simply did not eject.

I asked a friend of mine, who is very technologically-oriented, for advice, and that friend suggested that I could use a pair of tweezers to extract the disc, but that I would need to be extremely careful when doing so, so that I would not scratch the disc and render it useless. I am understandably reluctant to attempt to use that method to solve my problem.

What does everyone else here have to say? How do you suggest that I solve my problem by removing the disc from my car's CD player? I await your responses.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Default Re: Removing an Optical Disc from a Slot-Loading Player

Physically disassemble the unit.

Pliers probably wont work as it will be locked inside the unit. Unfortunately unlike op drives with a tray there is no pin hole release.

Minus the stupid part. You know, we need an emoticon that reads "what he said".

I've had it happen before. Pull the unit out and take the top panel off, you should be able to get at the mechanism and manually start ejecting it. If that fails plug in back in with the top off and power it up hit eject and see what isn't working and maybe give it a nudge.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Just had to pull apart my PS3 to get a DVD out my daughter jammed in there. Just take your time.

Custom Title Honors

yup btdt! about the only thing to do is take it apart or buy a new disk.

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Under normal circumstances, I would have no difficulty with physically disassembling the unit and removing the disc, but since the device in in my car, I do not wish to damage either my car or the radio receiver, as I would need to spend money to repair both.

Earlier today, when I went out driving, I pressed the eject button on my car's radio receiver, and the disc ejected! I am not certain why it did not work before, but I am very glad that it did work, so that I did not need to employ a more drastic method of obtaining it.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

The disc may have clamped after you hit a bump but after another bump it may have come good again. Good to hear you don't news to do anything

I have had a similar thing happen in my Mustang. Seems to be the same couple of disks and I think it is related to the slag on the inner hole. I took some fine sand paper and removed it and I haven't the issue with those disks again.

I actually used another disk to push the "stuck" one further in the player after it refused to eject. A couple of tries and it ended up ejecting.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Or it's a loose band on the eject motor. There is that.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta