Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best MMORTS?

Default Best MMORTS?

I'm playing Stronghold Kingdoms right now. What are other games like this one that are good?

I'm downloading AoE:Online as we speak, but I'm not sure if the game play is what I'm looking for. I think it has two modes, one that's like AoE while the other is like Stronghold, but I'm not sure. We'll see I suppose.

As fun as Stronghold is, it's just a bit lacking at the moment. It's very 90's feeling. But I like the game play in that I can't log into it once a day or so and that I can keep building up my empire/towns against other players.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Best MMORTS?

Love that game!

I'm a big fan of Starcraft (1 and 2) and Supreme Commander (1 and 2). The newer Command and Conquer games are good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Love that game!

I'm a big fan of Starcraft (1 and 2) and Supreme Commander (1 and 2). The newer Command and Conquer games are good too.
    Isn't the gameplay a bit different though? Those are more hands-on whereas Kingdoms is just check in once a day or so? or?

I must be thinking of a different game. I'm thinking either Stronghold or Kingdoms.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Red Alert 2 (YR), hands down.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTeaPot View Post
    Isn't the gameplay a bit different though? Those are more hands-on whereas Kingdoms is just check in once a day or so? or?
    Let me get this straight you want an rats that you don't have to commit to in real time? So what you really want is an mmo which takes elements of an rts game. Like the controls, interface and game perspective that doesn't actually require the play through of games but rather of some accumulative civilization, kingdom ect. that expands and grows at a slower pace than your tradition rts which could be an individual game over anywhere from half an hour to a couple of hours. Starting fresh each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonerboy779 View Post
    Let me get this straight you want an rats that you don't have to commit to in real time? So what you really want is an mmo which takes elements of an rts game. Like the controls, interface and game perspective that doesn't actually require the play through of games but rather of some accumulative civilization, kingdom ect. that expands and grows at a slower pace than your tradition rts which could be an individual game over anywhere from half an hour to a couple of hours. Starting fresh each time.
    Pretty much. Stronghold Kingdoms is pretty much like any other RTS, except it's focused on building up nearly every aspect you can imagine and does it over an infinite amount of time. Unlike games like Starcraft, you don't have to start a new game each time you start the game, and it's not so much about attacking other players so much as it is building up your town/city/empire, though the ability to attack other players is still present and happens relatively often, thus you need to work on defenses and not just resource management and the like. It's kind of cool too, because you can design your castle. Thicker walls means more time to penetrate your castle, moats slow attackers down, you can place archers on top of walls, etc.

Though it's all still in Beta, so it basically looks like a game from the 90's and needs a bit more work. I'm hoping it ends up looking more like the other Stronghold games by it's finish. It's all just really basic right now.

It's a really slow and unending (unless someone wipes out your town) RTS game that focuses on building. It's kind of like a really basic knockoff of AoE, but with an MMO aspect. (btw AoE Online is nothing like this game. sad sauce.)

Ah so after looking it seems like they took the Stronghold games and made this one from the same engine.

There is another game a friend of mine plays (can't remember name and he is in the army atm) however it was a game set in space where you control planets and fleets of ships.
    Each server is a universe and you earn ranks in the game by how many planets and ships you control. You can wage war with other players.
    It is long term as in my friend has been playing 6 years now on and off. There is android apps to check on your fleet ect (possibly ios app don't know) and if you choose you can log on every other day ect
    Someone else may know what I am talking about I will try find the name.

EVE Online? Tried it. Too much time spent fiddling with little bits, not enough flying around. I prefer games more like World of Warcraft or City of Heroes. Simple, easily understood, fast to pick up, and no hours of fiddling.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin