Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 60GB SSDs?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default Re: 60GB SSD's?

Quote Originally Posted by crenn View Post
    I've got no SSDs in any of the system me or my girlfriend own and I'd love to have an SSD, is this competition open to everyone?
    Yep, why wouldn't it? Your location? Have you seen everything I have given away at Bit-Tech?

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    This pile O crap I'm using would be a waste of a good ssd so don't put my name in.

Just had to say it's pretty awesome having someone on the forum that give as much as you do TGS.
    You enter Satan Claus?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Default Re: 60GB SSDs?

I have a 120 that was in my wife's laptop for a little bit while I repaired her 600Gb spinning drive. Now I'm just waiting for a little money so I can put it into a HTPC built very quickly, in an ugly case. I sure wish I had money to make a great looking case, but I don't, so it will stay ugly for a long while.
    Last edited by d_stilgar; 09-28-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Satan Claus for you too?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Satan Claus for you too?
    No, not for me. I have a really nice machine at home with three 24" monitors. At school, I have a not-as-good machine, but that still has an i7 2600, a 4870x2 and plenty of ram, and all that goes to a 28" monitor. My wife has a laptop that perfectly suits her needs. I have all the parts for a HTPC except a PSU. I should not be picky, but I've had my eye on a fanless 500W Kingwin PSU with really high reviews. So, yeah, I don't need a free computer and it should go to someone who really needs it. Really, I should be giving away a bunch of the extra stuff I have.

Speaking of which, I have my for sale thread, which is still populated with some crap I'd like to not have any more. If anyone can convince me why they should have it for free, I'll send it to them free as long as they cover shipping.

I don't have any SSD's.

I don't really need one, but if I tried to upgrade my laptop, I would have to get much larger ones since I am running 2 1tb drives and they are getting full.

To be honest I have not even powered up any of my desktop rigs in over 6 months and then it was to pull my resume and put it on my server.

On a side note: One of my customers uses 250gb SSD's in one of their appliances. We were just told that they are EOL'd and the only comparable upgrade are the 480gb SSD's. The kicker? The 480's are cheaper...
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    I haven't made the plunge into SSD's yet. Mainly because I have been watching to see if there were any issues with longevity, and of course price. I would love to try one out, just haven't found a good enough deal on one yet.
    i think that as long as you do your research on how to set up a ssd properly, that they are quite reliable. i think the majority of the problems people claim to have are from improper setup.

i also read in an article not too long ago that with the 10000 write limit for each cell, if you were to write every single cell every day, it would take 8 years to ruin the whole drive.

although the math doesn't quite work out. oh well, whatever.

There really isn't any kind of setup. You plug in the drive and it works. I guess you can run a tweak utility, but many people don't

Samsung claims you can get 10 years out of their current drives
    WH1T3 0U7

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I don't have a single SSD in the house, and there's probably about 20TB of space between the various PCs, Laptops and the server - I have considered putting one in my HTPC purely for the noise levels - right now the HDD is the loudest item in there. As the HTPC backs up to the server automatically capacity isn't really an issue - I've seen the price of the 60's dropping below £50 for the first time so it may well end up on a future shopping list.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Default Re: 60GB SSD's?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    You enter Satan Claus?
    Yes I did. Do I need to add my post on Bit-Tech or is what I already posted good?
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Anodized

I would love to have some ssd's in my new rig i'm building.

I'm in TGS.

D.