Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will LEDs Eventually Replace All Other Illumination and Display Technologies?

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Will LEDs Eventually Replace All Other Illumination and Display Technologies?

That wouldn't be a bad idea. Having the AC mains coming to your house, then DC transformer in your breaker box.

I've got some outdoor LED fixtures that have a yellow-ish tint to them. But they're definitely white by design. Probably wouldn't mind those in the house.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Default Re: Will LEDs Eventually Replace All Other Illumination and Display Technologies?

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    That wouldn't be a bad idea. Having the AC mains coming to your house, then DC transformer in your breaker box.
    No worse then having ac to dc converters at the wall plates, but in this case the DC panel is completely separate from the AC panel.

Default Re: Will LED's Eventually Replace All Other Illumination and Display Technologies?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    I cannot speak for every homeowner, but I absolutely prefer "daylight"-colored lamps in my residence, as I find that they provide far better illumination than do any "soft white" lamps. I do not understand why some people prefer "warm" light over "cool" light or why devices that provide warm light far outnumber those that provide cool light, but I will always use cool light (i.e., 5000K or greater color temperature) over warm light (i.e., 2700K to 3000K color temperature) in my own place of residence.
    Believe it or not, we're all affected by the light around us. In nature, the only real source of light is the sun. Sun light is warm in the morning, cool during the day and then warm again in the evening. We evolved with the natural daylight cycle. Our brain expects the sun to set at certain times in the evening. When it sees "daylight" when it's preparing to wind down for the night, it disrupts the natural cycle. This can result in lower quality sleep, insomnia, and other disorders.

We don't tend to have lights on in our house during the day, but "daylight" bulbs (6-6.5k) would be appropriate at this time. At night, warmer light (~3k) is more appropriate. Whether most people are conscious of it or not, this is why they prefer "warmer" light at night.

I thought about implementing custom LED lighting that fades from 6.5k to 3k over a couple hours throughout my house, but it's just one more massive project on the heap of projects.

As far as LED taking over: Slowly but surely they will replace incandescent and CFLs...until something comes along to replace LEDs.

I have some full spectrum 4500k bulbs in my kitchen that replaced some CFLs that took far too long to warm up. They look great, sip energy, and are much, much brighter than the CFLs they replaced. Says on the box they last up to 22 years...they're a year old now, and I'm counting! The price needs to come down significantly before I purchase more though. They were about $30 a piece...I don't think they'll ever pay for themselves, but technology has to start somewhere.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.