Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tardis

ATX Mental Case

Default Tardis

I thought it might be a fun idea to create a PC case in the shape of the TARDIS. I hope you like it, feedback/comments welcome.

Anyone who isn't sure what a TARDIS is should visit here first.

Edited "hightlights" of the build will be posted in this thread, but the full worklog is at the website above. Go on, visit the website, I spent ages on that.

Click to enlarge the basic case plan

So why a TARDIS PC case?
    My work PC has the name of "TARDIS" on our network, as it's a good enough name for a box as any other. But to be honest it doesn't go through space, and travels through time at only 60 seconds a minute.

Then, I started getting interested in Mini ITX motherboards and case mods after seeing a toaster PC case. Sites like mini-itx.com show other things these motherboards fit into, everything from a (plastic) cow to a gum ball machine through to a Millennium Falcon. Suddenly, it clicked "why not a TARDIS?" and lo, it was started.

How's that going to work?
    As there aren't any suitably sized off the shelf TARDISs that I could use (unlike the Falcon mentioned above) I would have to build it from scratch. Laid before you on the next few pages is my little journey from blank canvas to completed project. I started writing this at the end of my first day's work on the case as I thought some people would be interested in how it progresses, so at the moment I've no idea of the finished result.

Please note: This is not a 'How To' step by step guide, just how I did it. You might pick up some useful tips if you are stupid enough to embark on a similar trek as mine (but I'd rather you did something else, something original). It could also help you avoid some costly mistakes. Who knows?

Base
    First off, I made the base for the TARDIS PC case out of MDF and some square dowel stuff that I'll use for the posts. The sides of the case will rest up against this dowel, giving it a bit more support. I don't want to fix the base to the sides or the roof to the sides, otherwise future upgrades might be tough.

Click to enlarge

I cut out the front panel from a sheet of MDF. I made it slightly wider as I wanted to embed it into the 2 front vertical posts. It was at this point I noticed a slight problem. The wood I'd bought for the vertical posts were 21mm square. I should have bought 30mm.

One trip to B&Q later and some suitable square posts have been purchased. I cut the groove down the centre of these posts for the sides to slot into The creates quite a strong joint as long as the slot is tight (yes, everyone needs a nice tight slot). I marked out on the front panel where the “gridwork” would go, and cut out the 2 windows . I also cut out the door as I hope to have that open out with the power switches and screen behind it.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Then I routed a 45 degree angle into some strip wood which would be used to create the gridwork. Some cutting and sanding later, I end up with a neat little picture frame. I then noticed my window cutting hasn't been the best and one of the windows has a little overhang. This will need to be removed somehow.

More Front Door Work
    I cut some angled pieces of wood to create the horizontal sections of the lattice.

Click to enlarge

After I'd glued them in place, I marked up the other 2 sides of the TARDIS doors (the back would be a removable panel for access, and hidden from view). I repeated the same lattice work on the side doors and started to fill the small gaps between some of my poorer joints. Well, actually, I put filler in all the joints.

Click to enlarge

A quick bit of cutting and routing to make the 2 back posts. I haven't routed the slot for the rear panel but I just wanted to test it looked OK all together. Just below where the Police Box (Public Call) illuminated signage are some steps, presumably to provide support for the sign. Again, created from stripwood. I think the pine square stripwood is too thick, but that can be sorted by some sanding. And slowly it starts to all look a bit more solid.

Click to enlarge

I hadn't worked on the TARDIS for a few days as I was back at work, but the weekend came round and I was straight back in the garage. For about 10 minutes. Work called with an emergency which didn't end till gone 6, so that only left Sunday to make some decent progress.

A quick test fit with the motherboard to make sure it would fit in (and it did. Phew), and then I routed the channel for the back board, and cut the backboard out of some thin stuff.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

The Roof
    Next up was the roof. This took some serious thought as I wanted the roof to be completely removable, allowing easy access. It was also going to be the main exhaust point through the lantern at the top. Now, this means that the fan can't be in the roof otherwise when I remove it it will have a fan wire still attached. The TARDIS also has a rather tricky pyramid at the top. More on that later.

I made a square box which is slightly narrower than the width of the door (not inc. posts), which would be the first "step" of the roof. The square posts you can see in each corner would then support the roof, which you can see glued in place in the second photo.

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Observant people will notice there is no hole in the roof for the air to escape from. Until I've built the pyramid I'm not cutting the hole for the roof, just so I'm sure of dimensions etc.

The Pyramid
    The TARDIS plans I had did not show the size of the sections for the pyramid. So, some GCSE maths later and a page of notes (below) I finally end up with the size the pyramid needs to be. Or, at least what I think they need to be. However, suddenly Sunday is over (probably something to do with me stopping and watching the Moto GP and the 1/2 hour of maths) so I'll have to wait till next weekend to continue. I can never be bothered to clear enough space in the garage to work on the case in the evenings.

Click to enlarge

Default Re: Tardis

Hey, that's pretty incredible. Why not post a few pics here, start a worklog? Although you've allready got one, most people are lazy and won't follow links; this way, you can increase the number of visitors/ feedback you'll get.

Simple copy/paste job, right?

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

ATX Mental Case

Good idea Dave, thanks.

I like this mod. A lot!

There are only 3 of those boxes left in the UK (actually, could be Scotland...or Glasgow...) now, and one got turned into a coffee shop the other day. Interestingly, when my dad joined the peelers they were still in use, and the one in the Museum at Glasgow is the same one he was linked to. That only leaves one original box unaccounted for, and i suspect that it's also in Glasgow near the public toilets at Marks N' Spencers.

Nothing like cheap history!

-Dave
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Its in sheffield, i've seen it, somewherere, not sure exactly, it maybe a repelica. I think its in a model shop of some form.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Rankenphile

There was one here in the US outside of a restaurant at a mall near where I live. They closed up the restaurant and the box was outside, sort of abandoned for a while, adn I really wanted to buy it and put it in my house, but when I went back to find out, it was gone.

ATX Mental Case

Just because there is no work on the wooden parts of the case, it doesn't stop my mind from thinking.

The questions:

* How to get all the components in there?
    * What to make the Police Box Public Call sign out of?

The second question is particularly pressing. On full size TARDIS builds people have got professional sign writing companies to create the signs out of a suitable plastic and properly printed. The sign should only have light come through the letters, not through the dark blue surround which makes it a bit more tricky. I've done a few tests with some OHP film and that continues. I am very concerned how I can get the lettering to look neat. The mark on the left is marker pen, the stuff on the right is paint. It works, but I don't think it's going to be very neat. You may just be able to see some marks at the top of the sheet which are my tests with some glue.

Click to enlarge

And so I continue to think. However, I bougth an illuminated fan to provide exhaust to the hot air, and to provide the internal glow for the signs and the windows. A quick test of the fan and it was surprisingly bright. It lit up my room like it was the 5th November/4th July (delete as appropriate).

Click to enlarge

Also on my purchasing spree was a cheap padlock. I'm hoping to take it apart and use the circular key part for the front door lock, as seen on the door of the real TARDIS. It's the bit circled red on the image below. It won't work as a proper lock as the doors don't open, but it's all showbiz anyway so what's the problem?

Click to enlarge

Rankenphile

In regards to the sign - what about taking a sheet of clear acryllic, frosting it, applying stick-on letters and then spraypainting it in the color you need. First put a layer of flat black or two, then apply your blue color as often as you need. Then, get a razor blade and a set of coton swabs and turpentine. Lightly trace the outsides of the letters in the turpentine-dipped swab, just enough to soften the paint but not enough to melt it much. Use the razor to carefully remove the letters, revealing the un-marred frosted acryllic underneath it, which can then be backlit using a series of white LEDs.

Fresh Paint

Very nice ideas, can't wait for it to take shape

Mark

Well the nice thing about the TARDIS, you have plenty of room inside it to do what you want. You could do anything from a mini-ITX to more then a hundred racks systems!

Looks like you have got a great start there!! I bet it will look great sitting on a desk somewhere.

EDIT: I know its lame.. BUT 400 posts woohoo!!