Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very interesting.

Default Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Default Re: Very interesting.

Cool stuff!
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

What's the point of being able to power the entire world if you're going to be in debt for the next thousand years? The cost is way too high in every aspect.

It's really cool and interesting, but very unrealistic. Maybe in another hundred or two hundred years, when there are more realistic options or methods available. All of this tech is still in its infancy, now (and for the immediate future) is a terrible time to invest in what's currently available.

Just keeping them clean would be difficult. They would become black so fast. Then you have to remember, cars aren't invisible, so there's that too. And what about the circuitry and all of that? Repairs would be a pain in the ass and very expensive. What about natural disasters, such as earthquakes? It's as strong as steel, or stronger? Even steel will become beat up after having so many vehicles drive over it for just one year. Then there's debris that will lower efficiency, such as trash, or more importantly, DIRT. Etc etc etc etc.

It's a very interesting terrible idea. But it might have some use in some way for someone with too much wealth on their hands.

Edit: How about instead of roads... rooftops?

Instead of roads, there's steel, which is as strong as steel, and supports trains very well.

And there could still be some cars, but most people take trolleys or light rail in cities.

And take airplanes when travelling extremely long distances, although there are train designs that could travel just as fast.

It's a cool idea. Seems way to expensive at the moment. But the idea behind it is very cool. It will be interesting if it gains momentum. I love the crosswalk idea. That was pretty neat with the pressure plate idea. Very innovative indeed. My only concern would be the grip on a glass road. At least, the impression I got was that they wanted the surface to be glass. My only concern with that would be the way you stop, corner, etc. Then again, I didn't catch whether or not it'd be in certain areas or all over, etc.

Either way, neat ideas and cool that someone is willing to think out of the box. Good stuff comes from that. Even if the whole idea from the top down doesn't take root, someone may be inspired by the other things they did and go, "HEY! I have an idea..." and apply it to something we either already have, or could use.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I kinda like the LEDs in the road myself. Would be easier to see the lines at night.

My biggest concern would be, the PCBs after a disaster. Is it stiff, or a ribbon-style, flexible kind? And are there many points of failure?

And we all know the biggest disadvantage of DC: It can't go long distances very well.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

They would have to make it survive the rapidly repeating freeze-thaw cycles in stupid states (aka Michigan) that use salt on their snowy roads 4-5 months out of the year rather than sand. To date, no road surface survives more than a few years of this without needing repairs. MI roads are the lab rats of the nation. Solar power of any kind is less than ideal in any northern state anyway.

The smart crosswalks might still be a good idea. I could see flashing surface based traffic indicators saying "Put the phone down and drive.", "It's the pedal on the right, idiot. Go!", or "Please pull over. Someone will be along shortly to cut up your license."
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I think a snow plow would destroy it
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    valid point

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    In the "stupid states", they have markers that are recessed into the road so they don't get popped by the first plow.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin