Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Making gaming comp, need help

Default Re: Making gaming comp, need help

If your still talking about the Compaq 7470 which it seems you are. You can get to 500, but your modifications aren't in the BIOS. The board has jumpers. I run my 7470 at 550mhz (100mhz FSB,with 5.5x Multi). I've spent many a time researching how to go higher, the best i've heard was a guy that took his to 625, but that was with water and a LARGE core voltage increase. (2.2 -> 2.7). He tried to go higher on anotheor one (650mhz but the core literally caught flame) For the compaq mobo 5.5x multiplier is the highest you can get with the printed stats. The voltage ofcourse can climb.

I agree heavily with AKA_RA, you are the fat man with good intentions running a 10k race (nothing against fat people). You didn't know what a BIOS is, USB2 was a question (diferent thread). You think you could take a 233mhz PC up to Windows XP level running Halo. Trust me i have 512mb PC100 ram in the 7470, Windows XP was a nightmare. Just god aweful. I also bet a mystery pentium and a mobo aren't going to cut it either. The case for the 7470 is perfect for mods, but the hardware it came with is NOT. I got the system new in 1999. It's 2006 now. it came with Windows 98. Windows XP is here and Vista is in purgatory (it's a joke). Go get a nice dual P3 system off ebay (runs about 50 bucks) OC those then youll have a decent system. I hate to bash but you are incredibly unrealistic with what this hardware is capable of. This is the type of hardware you test, you screw with, you break it big deal. but you don't use it for very serious means. Again readup, learn your stuff, know your limits. I may only have like 10 posts on this forum but I know the limits of this technology.

maximan1

Quote Originally Posted by cheztir
    If your still talking about the Compaq 7470 which it seems you are. You can get to 500, but your modifications aren't in the BIOS. The board has jumpers. I run my 7470 at 550mhz (100mhz FSB,with 5.5x Multi). I've spent many a time researching how to go higher, the best i've heard was a guy that took his to 625, but that was with water and a LARGE core voltage increase. (2.2 -> 2.7). He tried to go higher on anotheor one (650mhz but the core literally caught flame) For the compaq mobo 5.5x multiplier is the highest you can get with the printed stats. The voltage ofcourse can climb.

I agree heavily with AKA_RA, you are the fat man with good intentions running a 10k race (nothing against fat people). You didn't know what a BIOS is, USB2 was a question (diferent thread). You think you could take a 233mhz PC up to Windows XP level running Halo. Trust me i have 512mb PC100 ram in the 7470, Windows XP was a nightmare. Just god aweful. I also bet a mystery pentium and a mobo aren't going to cut it either. The case for the 7470 is perfect for mods, but the hardware it came with is NOT. I got the system new in 1999. It's 2006 now. it came with Windows 98. Windows XP is here and Vista is in purgatory (it's a joke). Go get a nice dual P3 system off ebay (runs about 50 bucks) OC those then youll have a decent system. I hate to bash but you are incredibly unrealistic with what this hardware is capable of. This is the type of hardware you test, you screw with, you break it big deal. but you don't use it for very serious means. Again readup, learn your stuff, know your limits. I may only have like 10 posts on this forum but I know the limits of this technology.
    **** you I'm not fat I'm skinny.
    And you have 8 posts.
    And I can do whatever I want and not give a **** about you.

Sorry about my language I'm just angry.
    -Max

I don't know a lot about overclocking myself, but I've read some things about it. I think you shouldn't ty to overclock your pc now, I think you should learn a bit more about thing having to do with overclocking. Learn how BIOS works and all that stuff... I think when you will try to overclock this much you will end up with a lot of broken parts...

but then again, I don't know anything about it, never overclaocked my pc...

maximan1

Yeah I'm doing a lot of reasearch...

okay, nice to hear you do want to go on with the idea...

and when you've got it working, you will learn me some things about it, right?

(I want to overclock something too, but I don't have any hardware to do so... yet...)

**** you I'm not fat I'm skinny.
    And you have 8 posts.
    And I can do whatever I want and not give a **** about you.

Sorry about my language I'm just angry.
    -Max
    Woah, cool your jets. I never actually implied your fat as a note, ever heard of a similie? And o boo im off by 2 posts. 1 now. You have what like 104, but from what i've seen they aren't very informative. not to start a flame war here. All i said was do your research because right now you have intentions to do things but you don't have th full background knowledge for it, everyone was there once, just read up which you are doing so kudos to you. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

PS: From a person who has OC'd everything from PCs, Mac's, and even SNES, that a K6II wont play halo well.

maximan1

Quote Originally Posted by cheztir
    Woah, cool your jets. I never actually implied your fat as a note, ever heard of a similie? And o boo im off by 2 posts. 1 now. You have what like 104, but from what i've seen they aren't very informative. not to start a flame war here. All i said was do your research because right now you have intentions to do things but you don't have th full background knowledge for it, everyone was there once, just read up which you are doing so kudos to you. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

PS: From a person who has OC'd everything from PCs, Mac's, and even SNES, that a K6II wont play halo well.
    FLAME WARRR!!!! Just kidding. You stop flaming me ass.

maximan1

And if you've OC'd everything you could teach me .

ATX Mental Case

It's hard to "teach" overclocking online. Best done with the person there, but that is what we're trying to do. Personally I've overclocked (and killed) just about everything out there as well... ok, well just PC's but overclocked video cards, processors, etc. You've got a LOT to learn... but to start learning to overclock the processor is a start. Personally I've not worked with many old computers, and I do remember the days when you overclocked using jumpers on the motherboard I just forgot about that and that is why I didn't say so, but yeah cheztir is right that is what you're going to be looking for.

just to get you started here are a few things that you might consider looking up in Wikipedia, or some other trust worthy searchable site for what you're going to be looking for when overclocking.

FSB (front side bus)
    Multiplier
    chipset
    AGP Bus (don't know if this applies to you)
    overvoltage (and voltage controls)
    DRAM Ratio

for basic CPU overclocking you are going to be working with FSB and Multiplier's. I don't really know all of the stats for your particular system... so I'm going to use mine as an example. I've got my FSB running at 250mhz from the stock 200mhz which is then multiplied by the multiplier (sometimes I wonder how they come up with such elaborate names for things) which is set at 11 giving me a final processor speed of 2750mhz, my RAM on the other hand can only handle a FSB speed of 218mhz (well at the 2-3-2-6 latencies it is designed for at least) which is what brings me to why I have the system set as I do the RAM to CPU ratio of my comp is set so that my RAM is running around 215mhz but if I were in a different situation I may actually lower my multiplier for a higher FSB. For example, if I had the fastest RAM on the market for my computer that runs stable at 275mhz, I would use a 10 multiplier and set my FSB to 275 and use a 1:1 ratio for my RAM:FSB.

I don't know how much help any of this is to you... or if you've already researched this stuff, but I'm just trying to share what I know, which coincidentally goes more with modern computers so I don't know how much help it really is... I know all the basics are still the same.
    Visit my site --> Kansas City LAN and Tech Promo Site <--

Asus A8R-MVP
    AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2.64ghz)
    ATI Saphire Radeon X1600 Pro x2 crossfire
    Corsair Twinx2048-3500LL

*Alright I went to post this but it made me log in, and deleted my typed stuff, so I'm going to type it again"

Ok, so here we go. Maximan, I see you're young and probably ambitious. But you are trying to climb a brick wall. You really are better off purchasing a better computer that you will be happier with and not have to do any adjustments to. (For time being) If you try to oc your current pc (even if you can) you will probably end up damaging something. Talk to your parents about purchasing a computer for you. Tell them how much you are interested in them and how much it will help out in the long run. If you can't afford it ask them if you could do chores to work off the money. Realistically that is your best option. Good luck mate.