Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD is Not Better at Gaming!

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Default Re: AMD is Not Better at Gaming!

I am a strong supporter of AMD, because their products are typically less expensive than are Intel's products, but usually can provide comparable performance for a lower price. However, to say that one company is overall superior to the other is rather harsh and unfair, in my mind, as I am certain that each company can provide products that shall meet the needs of their customer. My current computer has an AMD Phenom II X4 945 processor and an AMD Radeon HD 6850 video card, and both function very admirably for my uses; I play games only infrequently, but I do watch movies and television series frequently on my computer, and its CPU and GPU are more than sufficient for that purpose.

Of course, I am certainly aware that AMD is faring poorly in comparison to Intel at the present time, so I am very much hoping that they can return to providing strong competition to Intel, as they are the only other major manufacturer of CPU's in the world and thus the only entity preventing them from having a complete monopoly on the CPU market. I do hope that their next line of processors, the FX-based "Piledriver" processors, are better than their "Bulldozer" processors and thus provide better competition for Intel's products.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

I'm holding out for "Freight Train" processors.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Well, my look at it:
    The refresh rate on 75-95% of monitors is 60Hz. The rest are 65, 75, or 120. No matter what, once you hit the refresh rate of the monitor, it's physically impossible to display it faster.

IMO, any FPS faster than 120 is overkill.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

ATX Mental Case

I like them all but when using both brands in real life i notice no difference between my older 1090t or my 3960x besides the 3960x is dead already and the 1090t is still running strong. Also have the I5-2500k and i7-2700k and i7-3930k . My favorite of them all right now is my 2700k. Thing overclocks and benches like a beast. Lol the 3960x died not overclocking but installing windows. But that was a defective motherboard because the board ran great till i bought a new board and tried installing windows.So i wont blame the CPU for that problem. But hell My i5-2500k is more then enough and the one i use the most. And was dying to get an 8150 but just not in the budget at the moment as i have 2 more builds lined up to do with deadlines. But i am also hoping Pile driver has something to push me back to AMD. I tell people building Gaming builds get an i5-2500k ans AsRock Extreme 4 and some cheap priced corsair Vengeance Ram . Every one of them saved huge money and love there builds. But for people that just web browse and play small games occasionally i aim them towards the AMD APU as that's all they really need.

My opinion also for benchmarking is there is no Intel 3960x going to reach 8.4Ghz like AMD Pulled off with their 8150 so for Dice or something like that i would go 8150 over 3960x Higher clocks and if you fry it is 200 bucks versus 1000.

This is just my opinion only.

MybadOmen

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I posted in Intel's retail forum that I'm tired of training that says you don't need a graphics card to play games because 3rd Gen Intel chips can do it with onboard video. Are you kidding me.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

I tried that. Couldn't even play Guild Wars, the first one not the second.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    I posted in Intel's retail forum that I'm tired of training that says you don't need a graphics card to play games because 3rd Gen Intel chips can do it with onboard video. Are you kidding me.
    You know what my IT teacher says? Having a (modern) dedicated graphics card is ALWAYS better than onboard video!
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatSatan View Post
    Well, bejeweled and snood are games.
    In another year or two, maybe more, it will likely be true. We won't need a dedicated card, we'll still want one though. We'll always want one. Our grand-kids will make fun of us for our relic computers that don't fit neatly on a single chip. Their battery-powered wristwatch uni-chip computers will make today's super computers look like toys.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    I'm holding out for "Freight Train" processors.
    Are you being condescending toward AMD? Do you doubt that they can recover from their current situation and once again provide serious competition to Intel?

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    You know what my IT teacher says? Having a (modern) dedicated graphics card is ALWAYS better than onboard video!
    Saying that is akin to saying that "the sky is blue;" it is an obvious and logical conclusion to make. From my experience, it is always a wise decision to have a dedicated graphics processor in one's system, so that the CPU does not need to handle the tasks of graphics alone. I also have found that dedicated sound card are far superior to onboard audio, yet not as many computers have sound cards as they have video cards.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    Are you being condescending toward AMD? Do you doubt that they can recover from their current situation and once again provide serious competition to Intel?
    Certainly not. I am optimistic they will gain the upper hand in processor tech again, and do it for cheaper than Intel. For now, I'm unimpressed with their specs.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin