Page 1 of 15 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Dark Art

Overclocked

Default Project: Dark Art

Formerly known as power case, project Dark Art has come a long way. I have created this new worklog to continue under a new name. one that i feel fits this case better.

I have put every design consideration into this drawing and it has come a long way.and after looking at the properties

i was suprised to see that i had been working on this thing for 23 hours! thats just the computer time. not to mention all the work put into getting sponsors, looing up prices, and freehand sketching.

BTW: you cant see it just yet, im making custom materials so you can see it in all its glory + im not the best at lighting. You guys like the little teaser screenshot?

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Default Re: Project: Dark Art

What program are you using for the 3D? How do you get sponsors?

Overclocked

I am using autocad 2004 and getting sponsors is a lot of work.
    the first thing you need to do is make a list of all your materials, and things like that. write up a very convincing letter, mostly of what you can do for them. like Sq in of logo for so much product/ discount/ monetary contribution.

then you contact everywhere you can and ask for a short appointment for a sponsorship promotion possibility. they somethimes say yes, then visit them. give them your letter stating what you are doing it for, why, things like that. but mosty, what is in it for them.

Note: if the company is supplying materials, make sure that you try to include, or make them think your including them in the design process.

and i quote "i think that that would look good in red."
    Me, "But with red, there isn't the contrast that would make your logo pop!"
    "i see what you mean"

this was one example, more or less that happenes a lot. sometimes, you have to give in a little bit. and others, if they turn out to be more expensive, you can say, "well that isnt exactly in the budget, but i think it would look the best that way."

sometimes they spring a couple extra bucks.

You have to show them that they are not just wasteing their time, you have to be along in the project before you start asking.

that is why i have this 3d solids model. its great practice+it may land me some more cash.

-ghandi

Overclocked

I had exams from last week until tuesday of this week, so there were no updates. i am currently working of some tools for the project. like a vacuum forming table. its small but it should do its job. today i am going to try for some more sponsors, and work on the materials a bit. i still dont know how to do that well.maybe ill post some of my renders later tonight if i get the look i want.

-ghandi

Overclocked

well i got sick so what can i say. tomorrow i am going to a week long leadership training conference so i will be out for yet another week. right now i am broke because i bought my mobo. plus i should be able to get some of my other stuff on like the 20th because my hours will not get processed until the 15th. thats what i get for turning them in on a peice of syrene foam... it should be a good 500 bucks so i can buy my ram and processor then.

what should i get.

AMD X2 3800+

or

AMD Athlon 64 4000+

i know that dual core is nice and people rave about it... but i am still undecided about which one to get.

i have a 939 socket mobo and i would like to spend only around 300 bucks on a processor. so if you guys have any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

-ghandi

This is bizarre, but look at the Opterons 1xx series. They are quite good.

ATX Mental Case The Great Destroyer's Avatar

go with the dual core. individually, the cores would run a little slower than the 64, but with 2 cores, its easier to multitask. (and you'll have the "ooh...ah..." factor to impress people just cuz its a dual core!)
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

go with the X2

the X2 has a lower clock speed, but it will destroy the normal 64 processor.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Overclocked

i have been on and off with this project for some time. mostly off.

had to be a leader at two different camps = 2 weeks
    got stung by a bee

that realy sucked. that happened as i was leaving the last camp
    i was swollen like that for a week and a half. unable to close my hand.

i enticed you with that screenshot from above. i can design like mad but when it comes to rendering i suck ass.

here are the renders anyway.

supposed to look like this, sort of.

this was an early render. no more front window. i had redesigned the entire case after the first render. i have no idea what changed to make the others look crappy.

i have bought some materials however and began case fabrication.

4' x 3' 20Ga mild steel ~ 15$
    6" x 12" 3/16" hole perf sheet 18Ga ~ 5 $
    got some plexi for free
    1/4" clear acrylic 3' x 4' about
    3X 555 timer ics
    3x qprox switches (ics)

the last two items so far are so small that i can fit them both on top of a pop tab... i will have fun soldering those puppies.

1x slim slot load dvd burner
    and an adapter for it.

1x kn8 mobo socket 939. i am going with the x2 but i need more cash. making cases is cheap compared to putting the stuff inside.

well i cut the acrylic i had just enough for my two halves.
    i began bending the plastic with my 20 year old heat gun. there is no change in the shape of the plastic. after another half an hour i managed to bubble it!

i said screw it and whipped out the propane torch. i already ruined my peice so i might as well try an alternate method. that doesnt work so hot either. it only happens to bubble it more and will only allow a line to bend.

i needed a new heat gun anyway. will go and get more plexi this weekend girlfriend has drill so that gives me some time to work. yes, for your information, i am whipped.

you guys should check out my favorite band grey leaf
    i know the lead singer/ acoustic / harmonica player

-ghandi