Thread: Top of the line computer hardware circa 2000

Default Top of the line computer hardware circa 2000

I'm looking for some old junk if you guys have it. I want some top of the line gear from the year 2000. This could be video cards, sound cards, monitors, hdd, motherboards, processors, etc.

I'm also open to suggestions of what I should be looking for.

I should be willing to pay the shipping, and at some point I will be, but if people could just donate the gear that would be totally awesome. Thanks!

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Top of the line computer hardware circa 2000

If you're willing, you can drive south on I-84 and pick up one or two identical CRTs that are about from 1995. One of the bonuses is that they run at 1600*1200@65Hz like a charm.
    And a spare 20GB HDD that I have. More whiney than loud, but still will go well with the theme.
    And the right speaker for the Labtec ACS41 that needs a jack replaced. Best dang desktop speakers that are 2.0
    ...No left speaker. You can make one, though....
    Got an adapter, though!

If you're willing to just have one CRT, I've got a Rage Fury/128 crossbreed video card with SVid/Composite out. Which you could hook up a mini TV to.

The best sound card from that time was the Sound Blaster Live. I have one that fried due to a bad hookup (which I have no idea why I'm still keeping...), and another I plan on using elsewhere.

Do you need a Socket 370/Slot 1 combo motherboard, capable of 66/100/133 CPU FSB?

I'm excited.

PS: I may have a working copy of Win98 and key somewhere around here....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

You want to play Doom?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

He and I have been working details out on a mod...

You'll see >_>

Tri.fecta

AmEv, I may take you up on the monitor offer (especially if I'm going that way anyway). I've been trying to figure out what hardware I'm going to want. I need to finish building this shed so I can move a bunch of junk out of my trailer. At that point I'll have enough space to finally get to my stash of old computer junk and see exactly what I have. I may have a decent Pentium III that came out right around the year 2000. From there I'll need to find some nice video cards, maybe a new motherboard depending on what I have, hard drives, etc.

I'm still debating the details. Do I use a micro-controller or not for some fancy/funny things that could do into the case? Do I figure out how people were doing that stuff in 2000 and make it work that way? Do I use LEDs? Cold Cathodes (yuck)? It's hard to say.

But the theme is there and many of the elements are figured out.

Wait.....

I remember color LCDs were starting to come out, but they were extremely expensive, slow, and low quality.

If you're willing to make about an 8-to-10-hour-round-trip journey here, it's yours.

*I've got a 20GB HDD, made 20 November 2000.

Tri.fecta