Thread: i3 or i5?

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default i3 or i5?

So I'm building a Mini ITX system to do reviews with but I can't decide on what CPU to use. I have the Intel DH61DL and judging by this chart it supports Ivy Bridge. Ivy Bridge consumes alot less power so I think I'll go with that.

The i5-3450S is 2.8GHz (3.5 GHz Turbo) Quad Core that consumes 65W. It has the Intel HD Graphics 2500 which is good because my board does not have a PCIEx16 slot for a GPU. Priced at $199

The i3-2120 is 3.3Ghz with no Turbo Dual Core with HT so it a quad core "lite". Consumes the same 65W of power and has the Intel HD Graphics 2000 which is lower than the i5.

The i3-2105 is less powerful at 3.1GHz but has the Intel HD Graphics 3000 which makes the Graphics Base Freq 850MHz over the 2000's 650MHz and consumes the same 65W.

I care only for the graphics in a playback sense. No gaming will be happening on this setup.

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: i3 or i5?

i think that since you are going to be limited to the onboard graphics, that the i3-2105 would be the best choice. even though you won't be gaming, it will still help with video playback. so i say get the one with the best graphics since you can't upgrade it without getting a whole new processor.

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

What type of reviews are you going to be doing with this setup? Obviously from your OP, no gaming or GPU reviews, and the graphics are just for playback, so I guess the question is how important CPU performance is vs. playback quality for your reviews. You also mentioned that you liked how Ivy Bridge consumes a lot less power, so is power consumption also an important factor? Personally, I'd go with the i5-3450S just for the extra processing power, but if I didn't need quad core performance, then I'd pick the i3-2105 for the better graphics.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Case reviews for now. I plan on doing coolers too eventually. Power consumption is a factor because I will only be using a Pico ITX PSU. The one I have now is 120W and I do not want to have to purchase another.