Thread: Tux, EAT YOUR HEART OUT...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Tux, EAT YOUR HEART OUT...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...pfnudeln&num=1
    All because M$ seems to be forcing the ME-tro interface.

Valve, DO NOT DISSAPOINT.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Default Re: Tux, EAT YOUR HEART OUT...

Newell's been talking a lot about open platforms and how much he dislikes closed systems. There are a fair number of rumors about a Steam box gaming system. So far they've been denied as currently happening, but certainly not denied as something VAlve wouldn't be interested in doing. In fact, Newell was a lot more open recently about the subject on a podcast and even talked a lot about why they've been so quiet about "Ricochet 2" which was a way for him to talk about Halflife 3 without talking about Halflife 3.

BTW, I think we might see Halflife 3 before the end of the year.

My bet:

HL3 and Steam Linux are coming out together.

Portal3/HL3 are the same thing.

New game console will run Linux.

Android Steam will eventually be a game distribution platform.

In one I've seen, the main reason he's pushing Linux is BECAUSE of the W8 Metro Interface.

http://techland.time.com/2012/04/25/...hes-windows-8/

I'm thinking of taking a trip to my mailbox this Friday.

Tri.fecta

My money is on that HL3 will release next year but if not then no later than 2014. With this much hype surrounding it, I think they're going to take their time with it. They clearly care about quality. They turned down all movie offers just because they weren't good enough and said that if anyone makes a movie, it'll be by them.

I think they have already taken their time on it. It was 2007 that episode 2 was released for goodness sake. My guess is that it will be released on a new engine, or at least a big enough overhaul to the source engine that it will finally catch up to other modern games.

As for the hate for Windows 8, I think it has a lot less to do with the Metro UI, but with the app store. It puts another middle man between users of software and creators. Right now on Windows I can search for software, find it, and download it. I don't need an app store. Windows 8 metro apps are going to require that they be acquired through an app store. This is a bad thing for consumers.

I don't care much if they improved the graphics. They could give me original HL2 version of source and as long as it had good gunplay and a decent story I would be superbly content.

But, I understand there are others who will freak if it doesn't look better than every other game in existence, so *shrug*. I'll just wait patiently until it arrives.

Well, I'm not usually someone who cares about graphics, but HL2 was just so unbelievable in so many ways. Physics engine, gravity gun, outstanding graphics (for the time). I think Valve would be doing a disservice to their flagship title if it didn't release with something truly groundbreaking attached to it.

If they had gotten episode three out quickly, then yeah, same graphics. But they cancelled episode three and have been working on Halflife 3 for some time now, so it needs that extra something to it.

It'll be the end of the "VCCT3" joke!

Three platforms supported!
    HL3!
    *insert random 3rd item, to make a double-3*

Tri.fecta

I wasn't referring to you guys with the graphics. A graphics improvement is always nice. It's those who would rather the game be pretty than a great game that frustrate me.

A Tux install would mean one less reason to have to run windows. Then again, I can't say much when my game is Windows only, and my job revolves entirely around Windows and Windows technologies.