Thread: Chrome browser

Default Chrome browser

I just upgraded piles of software all at once (sort of a seasonal thing ... giving me a chance to learn, play, experiment, and even uninstall software for a few days or so before settling down again for serious "it just works, don't break it" computing).

Gotta say the latest Google Chrome is pretty damn fast, compared vs IE, FF, and older Chrome, at least for the sorts of usage I demand of it.

The Google Chrome Web Store really bugs me though. I don't go there, I won't go there, I don't wanna see it every time I open a new tab. Google has apparently decided the CWS should be a permanent feature - it can no longer be removed, there is no more right-click "Remove" option, there is no more little "X", and no more "Remove from Chrome" bar appears when you're dragging the icon.

I'd love to remove Chrome Web Store, I am annoyed by rude corporate advertisement (no matter how subtle, even when using their free product, haha). Not found anywhere in the Registry. Not found anywhere within the various (visible and hidden) \Google\Chrome folders.

Does anyone have a fix?
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Default Re: Chrome browser

I'm running 23.0.1271.97 m which it says is up to date, so I assume to be as current as yours. I am also running the extensions shown below:

I don't have any issue with the Google store showing up.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

I couldn't specifically remove that integrated extension. But I found a "blank page extension" which works well enough.

Same Chrome version I have. Do you not see "Chrome Web Store" alongside the "Google Search", "GMail", etc whenever you open a new tab?

On my system at home I do have the store in the lower right corner. Not at work. Might be a function of the theme/extensions I'm using. To actually get to the store, I go to a new tab (which shows the most used page thumbnails), then hit the button to go one screen to the right where integrated software is displayed. On my bottom bar at home, new tab only, I have [Other Devices] [Recently Closed] [Web Store]. It's not intrusive. I'll see if I can choke the name of the theme I'm using at work out of the thing and I'll let you know. Themes can eliminate the bottom bar entirely it appears.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Thanx for checking. Apparently I must "spread around" and be a bit Rep slutty before I can +Rep you again.

Must be my fault for being helpful.

I using Google Chrome. Working with Google Chrome is simple, fast and stable!
    Check the TOS for rules concerning links in signatures...

Chrome is indeed fast if you do a lot of googly searches or link to a lot of google-serviced content. Great for casual everyday usage.

The simplicity disallows much fine control ... and even that is illusory since the google mothership can (and often does) arbitrarily reset your preferences to their corporate defaults, you can't control and aren't even notified if/when the product updates itself.

Stability is generally better than IE (what isn't?), and perhaps also better than a bloated FF install, but Chrome does still crash and burn from time to time when overtasked.

I'm not particularly happy with the constant invisible (and unstoppable) stream of personal usage data it shares with google and google affiliates, but hey, it's mostly harmless and nothing is really free in this world. Chrome does a fine job of slaying (not even downloading) assorted banners and adjunk page bloat ... but it never ever blocks advertisers who pay their google tax. It's difficult to use in-browser addons to control such behaviour since the browser aggressively updates itself to keep these paid ads in place. I'm mildly annoyed that it's built as a monolithic all-or-nothing package deal.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyMoon View Post
    I using Google Chrome. Working with Google Chrome is simple, fast and stable!
    I also use it. I don't think that is the best browser, but don't have any claims for it.