Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wireless intereference...from my motherboard?

Default Re: Wireless intereference...from my motherboard?

Lunacy: Trying the same thing several times over, hoping for a different result. They're lunatics.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

They gave me info to RMA the board. Only issue is it looks like I'll be without my machine while they test it. Good part though is I *may* be able to drop it off instead of shipping it - they're located about 60 miles from where I live, and my work regularly takes me out close to them. Here's hopin'...
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Well, I got RMA info from Gigabyte...but then I thought "hey, maybe I'll try moving the router to a higher position (it was near the floor). that'll be WAY easier than taking apart the computer." Seems to be working, but I'll have to give it a few more days before I declare it successful...

*edit - nope. It worked better for a couple days, but today reverted to previous behaviour. commence grumbling....

Apparently I'm not the only one:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/957608/po...s-interference

*edit - found a thread that recommended the following changes:
    • Lower the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) from 1500 to 1492 or less
    • Adjust the following advanced wireless settings:
    ◦ Lower the beacon interval from 100 to 50
    ◦ Lower the fragmentation threshold from 2346 to 2306
    ◦ Lower the RTS threshold from 2347 to 2304
    Also changed the channel from auto to channel 9.

Seems to be working...for the moment anyway...

I think if you monitor and log all the temps and rpms in your box you can correlate if anything activates/deactivates or changes speed during these "squealing" moments. It could be internal mechanisms beyond your control, like a stepper motor on one of the HDDs which only kicks in whenever the OS orders a cache rewrite. Is there anything you can do which deliberately reproduces this squealing on demand? If the squeal does indeed cause EMI with your WiFi then duplicating it with the metal chassis cover off should intensify the problem, shielding or moving or reorienting the computer might be enough to diminish the problem. You could try moving the (computer-side) WiFi antenna, it could be in a bad spot or the wire could be stretched or threaded across something noisy.

I was going to suggest adjusting the BIOS spread spectrum settings ... already done.

I would try swapping the PSU first. Then systematically removing drives and fans until the problem is isolated. If it continues to persist then it's gotta be bad mobo or dirty power line (your house wiring could be acting as an antenna or have some kind of harmonic interference caused by anything else on the circuit, even outside your property). People like to blame the electrolytics, but it could cracked traces, bad solder points, any kind of failed component, or even just bad design. I would inspect all the caps, inspect all the inductors, check that all the power and I/O connectors are clean, and - importantly - confirm that there isn't any sort of ground fault. Oscillating noise is almost always mechanical, intermittent noise usually indicates component overheat or failure. If you have a stethoscope, IR thermometer, microwave leak detector, radiated wattmeter/dipmeter or other items of the sort then you can use them to troubleshoot with great precision during squealing operation.

You can use old antenna tricks to "focus" your WiFi a bit. Lacking optimum-calculated parabolic reflectors and such you could just try some quick experiments with metal bowls and tinfoil. Licensed ham radio folks are permitted to rip out the puny ducky antennae and plug the WiFi box into serious transmission tower stuff, extending their WiFi coverage by a few kilometers lol.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    Is there anything you can do which deliberately reproduces this squealing on demand?
    Seems to mostly happen when I'm doing things like scrolling web pages, but it'll also happen when the computer is just idling.

If the squeal does indeed cause EMI with your WiFi then duplicating it with the metal chassis cover off should intensify the problem, shielding or moving or reorienting the computer might be enough to diminish the problem. You could try moving the (computer-side) WiFi antenna, it could be in a bad spot or the wire could be stretched or threaded across something noisy.
    Can't remove the metal chassis as there isn't one - the motherboard's in my sandcrawler computer, which is mostly MDF. The mobo is mounted on a metal tray, but that's an aspect that hasn't changed since I first built this case 5 years ago. Also, the machine is hardwired to the router - it's our DVD player, laptops, and my wife's iPhone that have the connection issues.

I would try swapping the PSU first. Then systematically removing drives and fans until the problem is isolated. If it continues to persist then it's gotta be bad mobo or dirty power line (your house wiring could be acting as an antenna or have some kind of harmonic interference caused by anything else on the circuit, even outside your property).
    Can't swap the PSU - I've kept it the same through several upgrades, and it's completely dismantled from its original case and incorporated into the model portion of the computer. Also, I had zero issues prior to switching out the motherboard, processor, and RAM. Everything else (PSU, video card, fans, pump, radiator, waterblocks, SSD and 2.5" standard HD, power plugs that everything is hooked up to) is exactly the same as before the upgrade. That's why I'm thinking it's the motherboard - it's the only major thing that changed and, given its relative complexity of parts compared to the CPU and RAM, in my mind that makes it the most likely culprit. And it's most likely only interfering with one wireless channel.

Making those wireless router changes seems to have fixed it: prior to changing those settings, my piano computer in the living room, my DVD player, my wife's iPhone, and both laptops were having problems yesterday. As soon as I changed those settings on the router, all of a sudden internet was working on all devices. Need to give it a few days though before I declare it completely successful.

I've been reluctant to RMA the board for a couple reasons: it'll be a HUGE PITA to take the machine apart. And I might take it out to Gigabyte, have them look at it and not be able to find any issues with it. It's an intermittent problem on (most likely) one or two of the wireless channels, which would make replicating the issue more difficult. I'll go that route if I continue to experience problems.