Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: x88x EV saga, v1.0: Honda E15 Magna

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: x88x EV saga, v1.0: Honda E15 Magna

I will be fusing the connection from the pack to the controller. I think I may also fuse each module, just to be on the safe side.

For the material, I'm going to see how well the 1/4" can hold threading. I may just replace some panels with it; not sure yet.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I came home from an Easter weekend with family today to find something fun waiting for me.

Gee, I wonder what's inside these boxes? One sure was heavy!

w00tz! Motor and controller!

The old and the new:

It's awesome to think that this little 46lb motor will generate more than twice the torque of that V4.

One thing I'm really quite excited about, once I have this done, is that since my dad actually has this exact same bike, I'll be able to do a side-by-side comparison of the VF500C engine vs the AC-15/6501 I'm putting in it; see how the reality compares to the numbers.

EDIT:
    After discussing the above graphs with Ichbin, I should note that the points where the torque levels are at 0 does not mean that there is 0 torque (and thus power) generated at that point; that just means I didn't have any numbers for those RPM ranges.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

I finally got my credit card yesterday, so I was able to start ordering parts in earnest.

So I have some good news and some bad news with regards to the batteries...

Good news is I placed several very large orders on Hobbyking for batteries. (They only let you order a certain weight in one order.)

Bad news is I wasn't able to place as many orders as I wanted to. They ran out of packs...and they don't have any in stock at their Hong Kong warehouse either...so if anybody wanted to buy 5Ah 5S Turnigy 20C packs, you're out of luck..

Ah well, I was able to get 57 packs (was trying to get 150), so I should be able to get a ~30 mile pack until the get more in stock. And these are pretty popular packs, so hopefully that won't be very long.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    so if anybody wanted to buy 5Ah 5S Turnigy 20C packs, you're out of luck..
    I guess I may need to reconsider my battery choices...

I'm interested to see how you fabricate the motor supports and assembly. Are you planning on getting a motor bracket sourced somewhere, or building it yourself?

Hahaha, they still have Zippy's if those are ok. I know the Turnigy's have a bit lower iR, which is why I picked them. Also, like I said, they're very popular packs, so I would expect them to restock fairly quickly. Plus, the fact that they're also out of them at their Hong Kong warehouse tells me that they've probably already started at least gearing up for another production run.

Planning on doing the mounts myself out of 1/2" 6061. Will mock some up soon with that 1/2" HDPE to figure out how much I'll need.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Came home last night to a nice big package waiting for me.

What could it be?

All in their own little boxes.

And out. That pile will represent one module once I am able to order all that I need.

I have to say, while they're not quite as compact as my 6S Zippys (the 6S Zippys are only ~1/8-3/16" thicker than these 5S Turnigys), they do feel better constructed. Little things, mainly. Thin foam padding on the ends instead of just fiber-tape, nicer wire hookups (especially on the balance leads), etc.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Looks like enough packs to run a laptop for a reasonable amount of time... with quad SLI. Can't wait to see them located in the frame.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Looks like enough packs to run a laptop for a reasonable amount of time... with quad SLI.
    Well, considering that my laptop's battery is 48Wh and that is 2.5kWh... Yeah, it'd run a laptop for a while.
    --Benjamin Franklin

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

5x capacity battery???
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

That would be 52x the capacity. It's kind of scary to think that those batteries together could discharge about 50 kw continuously...