Thread: Toggle switch question

Anodized

Default Toggle switch question

Ok, I am new to the electronic side of the equation regarding switches added from the outside of a system, so I need some info and this is the only place I could think of asking it.
    I am adding a 'missile switch' to my computer and I was wondering just how the heck I am going to accomplish it LOL.
    My idea: I want to be able to use the missile switch to gice power to a control board, so when I press a momentary, I power up my computer.
    The power threshold of the switch is 12v DC, and has a light up toggle (LED included).

Here comes my dumb question of the night (forgive me if this smacks of obviousness, I just got off work and have kitchen cabinets running through my mind)
    Do I hook the switch up between the power + of the motherboard, and the main momentary switch to allow it to be activated - thus creating a simple direct circuit?
    Also, where do I look to find out where I can hook up my power supply to the switch to activate the LED in the toggle?
    I was looking around for a missile switch and stumbled across one at radio hack for 5 bucks, it has 3 poles: 1 for power +, one for 'acc' (the LED) and a common ground. I havent done anything truely "electronic" since high school which was far too long ago, thus the reason I ask these here.

Again, sorry if these are incoherent or just plain dumb, long night I tell ya! lol

Default Re: Toggle switch question

This is easy. You put the switch in series with your current power switch.
    The wires your looking for are on the bottom right hand side of your mobo. fallow the leads or look in your manual for which wires are what.

There will be 2 wires (obviously). Cut one wire and attach a longer wire to it. Your switch whould "bridge" the gap. for the led light to work all you have to do is run a small wire from the positive pin to the acc pin.

Anodized

Default Re: Toggle switch question

Thanks Cana! I knew I over formulated what had to be done, you put me right back on track!
    Thanks!