Thread: Permissions issues on External Hard Drive

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Default Permissions issues on External Hard Drive

I have an external drive that I use with my laptop and desktop. It's formatted NTFS. I've noticed that if I try edit a file directly on the drive and save it, it wont let me save it due to a permissions issue. I usually work around this by just saving it locally to edit and then transferring it back to the drive afterwords but it's kind of annoying.

Does NTFS keep track of the user that created any given file? I was wondering if I get the permissions errors because I copied the files on a previous install of windows and have since formatted my machine probably 3 times. My other concern is that possibly when using the hard drive on Ubuntu it may have messed something up. I don' know how likely that is though.

Anyone have any input? I was wondering if formatting my External drive with a non-journaling File System would help.
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Default Re: Permissions issues on External Hard Drive

Quote Originally Posted by luciusad2004 View Post
    I have an external drive that I use with my laptop and desktop. It's formatted NTFS. I've noticed that if I try edit a file directly on the drive and save it, it wont let me save it due to a permissions issue. I usually work around this by just saving it locally to edit and then transferring it back to the drive afterwords but it's kind of annoying.

Does NTFS keep track of the user that created any given file? I was wondering if I get the permissions errors because I copied the files on a previous install of windows and have since formatted my machine probably 3 times. My other concern is that possibly when using the hard drive on Ubuntu it may have messed something up. I don' know how likely that is though.

Anyone have any input? I was wondering if formatting my External drive with a non-journaling File System would help.
    i know how to do that, ive had that happen before. go to your hdd, right click properties, then go to security tab, then permissions, and reassess full control for your user. it does it based off you version of windows.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Would You kindly... luciusad2004's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    i know how to do that, ive had that happen before. go to your hdd, right click properties, then go to security tab, then permissions, and reassess full control for your user. it does it based off you version of windows.
    Cool, Thanks for the response, I did not know about this lol.

Do you know if this will cause issues with me using the the drive at work as well? I use Windows 8 at home and Windows XP at work. I assume I would still run in to the permissions problem from my work machine if I set it up to work with windows 8.

Is there anyway to make it so that it doesn't keep track of user permissions for the files on the drive?
    What if I'm a Snowstorm burning
    What if I'm a world unturning.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

When you move or copy a file from one dive to another, it inherits the properties of the new drive. If its on the same drive, it retains its permissions.

Just make sure you have Everyone set to Full Control and you will be fine.