Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: really cool temps (literally)

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

Default really cool temps (literally)

So I just hooked up my new AMD FX-8120 on a gigabyte mainboard...and apparently it's quite good at not running much voltage when idling - I'm getting 8 deg. C idle temps on the CPU (core voltage at idle is only 0.94V). I'm watercooling it; by contrast the Phenom II quad-core I just replaced idled around 38C. I'm using CPUID to obtain the temps.

I'm not quite sure I believe it, but it seems to be working fine. And it means my video card is running a lot cooler too: 34C at idle instead of 50C. Guess I'll see what happens when I run games tonight
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: really cool temps (literally)

That seems way too low...

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Hey, I'm using the built-in Linux temp monitoring software.
    Says I'm getting 32.
    Fahrenheit.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Custom Title Honors

that's impossible. using either air cooling or water cooling, you can never get below ambient temperatures. the only way to get below ambient is to use something to "super cool" the heat sink or radiator. such as putting ice on your rads or piping your air conditioner directly on your cpu heat sink. sort of like phase cooling.
    i think your sensor is bad or the software is reading it wrong.

I think so, too.

Tri.fecta

Couple peltier coolers in the loop too?
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Custom Title Honors

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    Couple peltier coolers in the loop too?
    i was wondering if peltiers can get below ambient, but wasn't sure so i didn't mention them.

And freon isn't effective enough to cool a procy, right?

Tri.fecta

Yes, peltiers can go below ambient temps. A peltier (for those not familiar) is a device that when power is applied, one side gets cold and the other gets hot. You vent off the hot side, and have the cold side in contact with your cooling fluid in some way. A small water block on the cold side and a CPU cooler and fan on the hot side would be a good setup. You would need to regulate it a bit so you don't go too far below ambient and start causing condensation in your system. I may actually look into doing something like this for my build as my system sits in my garage area, and during the summer the temps can get pretty nasty. It would be great to be able to actively cool the system temps in this way.

Freon, and other related coolants, would indeed have the capacity to cool a procy. Problem is engineering the system properly. What you're looking at there is basically an air conditioner. You have an external compressor with radiators and fans. The coolant is brought into the block over the CPU and allowed to expand, chilling the block, then is returned outside where it is compressed again. It would be costly, and the likelihood of having condensation in your system is extremely high. It would also be an extreme energy hog as the systems cannot be throttled. They're either on or off. Off, and your CPU goes poof.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    So I just hooked up my new AMD FX-8120 on a gigabyte mainboard...and apparently it's quite good at not running much voltage when idling - I'm getting 8 deg. C idle temps on the CPU (core voltage at idle is only 0.94V). I'm watercooling it; by contrast the Phenom II quad-core I just replaced idled around 38C. I'm using CPUID to obtain the temps.

I'm not quite sure I believe it, but it seems to be working fine. And it means my video card is running a lot cooler too: 34C at idle instead of 50C. Guess I'll see what happens when I run games tonight
    Boy it must be pretty cold in your room.

I feel as if parkas interfere with gaming myself, but to each his own.