Thread: HTPC Question

Default HTPC Question

Is it possible to have an HTPC that does pretty much everything you could ever want, and only requires one "standard form factor" remote control to operate? In other words, no keyboard or mouse?

I was thinking about replacing... pretty much everything I have with a good HTPC, aside from my Wii, since those titles aren't available on anything other than a Wii.

Game controllers excluded here of course. I wouldn't want to game with a normal remote control anyways. lol

Basically, I guess I'm just looking for an HTPC remote control that does it all without looking like anything other than an, albeit perhaps fancy, but otherwise normalish looking remote control.

Edit: Also, I suppose it has to be relatively SFF. I wouldn't want a huge tower sitting next to my TV. Are there any good SFF cases that would fit a powerful enough GPU for any game I might want to play?

Default Re: HTPC Question

I use xbmc on my movie server and it has a pretty wide variety of remotes supported. Windows media center remotes are pretty much supported out of the "box" and you can get support and program virtually any other type that I can tell. Many folks are using the Playstation3 media remote. Personally, I use the Levono mini keyboard-mouse and it works fantastic.
    "At the midpoint on the journey of life, I found myself in a dark forest, for the clear path was lost..." -Dante Alighieri

How difficult is it to build and setup a complete HTPC? I've read that it can be a bit tricky? Or is that all old news?

Edit: Assuming that you have basic PC building knowledge. I've built a few PCs before.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Not hard at all. But you won't be gaming on it. Most HTPCs use a Mini ITX form factor so the case is too small for a GPU. Unless you get something like the silverstone fortress.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTeaPot View Post
    How difficult is it to build and setup a complete HTPC? I've read that it can be a bit tricky? Or is that all old news?

Edit: Assuming that you have basic PC building knowledge. I've built a few PCs before.
    A HTPC is still just a PC in essence.

You build it virtually the same but you focus your self around efficiency and noise while still retaining performance and budget as well as a form factor.

You also need to know what you want to do with it. For example mine is intended to function as a NAS and a HTPC with dual FullHD recording capabilities.

So I sourced my case and TV tuner card accordingly to enable o meet my constraints.

I went further to make sound a huge priority and spent a rather large amount on fans but that to me was fine.

I am sure if you want help with parts all you need do is ask give an idea of what you want along with a budget and where you can and would like to purchase from.

With what you have listed so far I do think you would benefit from a hauppenguage tuner as they are of excellent quality and the remote that comes with them is a pleasure to use. it also integrates perfectly with Windows Media Center.

I would wait till there are some low profile 7770s on the market unless you can deal with a case that can take a full height card. The 7770s a very efficient and cool and they fit inside the dimension of an atx mobo so length will be no issue but if you want a low case you will need to wait for low profile 7770s imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Not hard at all. But you won't be gaming on it. Most HTPCs use a Mini ITX form factor so the case is too small for a GPU. Unless you get something like the silverstone fortress.
    Or any of the lacasa series from silverstone or many others there are plenty of "htpc" cases that will take a full size mobo and gpu but looking for the m-atx and low form factor gpu would be the way to go. Ant the 7xxx series for efficiency and temps.