Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorized NZXT Switch 810 Top Vent

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

Default Motorized NZXT Switch 810 Top Vent

After reading SXRGuyinMA's review of the NZXT Switch 810 Hybrid, jdbnsn had a sweet idea:

Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn View Post
    That top vent is interesting, I think it would be cool to have that motorized with a small PIC controlled that lets you program it to open and close with power up/down as well as always closed or open. Pretty cool features altogether though.
    I think it's a good project idea, especially if it could be temperature-controlled, a la Tempest SXR's louvers. Honestly, it sounds like a project I'd like to try myself, but I'm a complete noob when it comes to custom electronics, even after reading the 3-part series on them here on the forums.

So, what do the rest of you all think?
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default Re: Motorized NZXT Switch 810 Top Vent

There are some mods out there for a diff case that uses a servo and temp sensor to open/close the vents.

Only issue I see with the vents is that they are only 50% open when opened. I'd probably cut them out and add louvers that open closer to 100%... but then I have other, more interesting plans for a cooling tower mod...
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I think it was SXRguyinMA that had something like that on his rig, but it had louvers which changed angle depending on temperature and computer power status.

neat idea, it would be pretty slick to have all that stuff software controlled. Switch between a low voltage/sound/air flow "silence" setting and a high flow performance setting via a simple microcontroller on the case or even software. I could see it now, just two buttons on the top or on a faceplate labeled "silence" and "performance". It would be especially neat if you could program them to give your CPU and GPU a little boost in clock speed, like the old Turbo buttons did.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Yep, my Tempest SXR mod had the temp controlled louvers on a Tempest EVO. I still have the board setup so it'd be easily adapted to the Switch...I agree with TLHarrell though about replacing the top panel with something that opens more. Simply done with a tape measure, SketchUP and a waterjet machine

If I get that case, I'd be eliminating much of the top panel anyway, mounting a triple 120mm rad with fans on top in a pull configuration... *dreams*
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Shut up and take my money!

You can mount a rad in push/pull in that case with the top panel still on
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Quote Originally Posted by Aldersan View Post
    You can mount a rad in push/pull in that case with the top panel still on
    sure can 3 fans on the inside of the case and the rad and 3 pull fans under that top panel

Custom fans with spinners (like jet engine) and custom cut grilles and risers. Won't fit, but it'll look awesome. I need to find CAD drawings of this case so I can start rendering some ideas. They're dribbling out my ears right now.

Well you may have a Switch relatively soon...pm me your addy