Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Celtic Knot Inspired

Anodized

Default Re: Celtic Knot Inspired

Thanks everyone for the compliments and comments.
    Day 10:
    Today I finished off carving the side panel which was starting t become a chore due to it's size.

I was looking at ways to fix the side panel so came up with the idea of fixing a strip of aluminium to the existing case edges. I bought pop rivet gun to help with this and it is awesome. You can see the rivets in the next 2 pics.

In the next 2 pics, you can see the side panel leaing against the case after I stained it. The colour doesn't match as it seems to take a couple of days for final colour to come out. I think it has something to do with the linseed oil darkeing the mdf.

I am thinking of putting the side panel on the other side of the case so I can perhaps put a mesh vent on the main access side. Just have to buy some more aluminium strip.

Anodized

Day 10:
    Today I finished off carving the side panel which was starting t become a chore due to it's size.

I was looking at ways to fix the side panel so came up with the idea of fixing a strip of aluminium to the existing case edges. I bought pop rivet gun to help with this and it is awesome. You can see the rivets in the next 2 pics.

In the next 2 pics, you can see the side panel leaing against the case after I stained it. The colour doesn't match as it seems to take a couple of days for final colour to come out. I think it has something to do with the linseed oil darkeing the mdf.

I am thinking of putting the side panel on the other side of the case so I can perhaps put a mesh vent on the main access side. Just have to buy some more aluminium strip.

Anodized

Day 11:
    I haven't done a great deal since my last update. I basically fixed some aluminium bars to the other side of the case with rivets and attached the fan to the top of the case. I have actually stuffed up the front panel. I realised when I put the side panel on. It's not square and if I was to square it up, the panel would be asymmetrical. I can't live with that so I am going to do a new front panel with a new design. It wasn't a total waste though, I made some mistakes on the initial front panel which I have learned from.

New design for front panel:

Case with Fan - also I put the panel on the other side than previous photos. I am also getting a bit concerned that the colours aren't matching between the panels. Something I might have to address later on when I'm finished the case.

Anodized

Day 12:
    I have started carving the new front panel. The first 2 photos show the panel leaning against the case. The colour of the top and side panel also seem to be getting closer tone colour which I was worried about. I should be able to finish carving and staining the front panel tommorrow and also clean up the DVD drive cutout.

The last photo shows what I finished today on the front panel

Anodized

Day 13:
    Not a lot done today, but I have finished carving the front panel and cut out the hole for the USB ports.

Anodized

Day 14:
    Today I printed out the pattern for the other side panel, then traced over the design with a carving knife - took about 1.5 hours. I also drilled out areas on the case for cutting out ventilation holes with the jigsaw. The jigsaw blade broke so I will have to wait until I can get to the hardware store before I can finish off the cutouts.

I also test fitted all the panels, there is a slight overlap on the right hand side but isn't too bad. Not sure if I will do anything about it or not yet, I thought I could just file the overlap down.
    First photo is a bit blurry

Anodized

Day 15:
    I have done a fair bit today. I cut out the vent holes, and filed them into shape - not before going to the hardware store to get some more jigsaw blades.
    I also finished carving the panel. I also stained it. I feel pretty pooped at the moment so not sure how much more, if anymore, work I will do today.

Anodized

Day 16:
    Today I realised two problems with the mod. The top panel fan is in the way of the DVD drive. I can either have one or the other as they take up the same space. I decided to go with the DVD drive as priority and just have a grill over under the fan cutout. I also realised that I drilled the hole for the DVD drive in the wrong spot. I thought I had the dimensions right but obviously not. I simply puttied the hole, and will take more care for the next hole.
    Otherwise everything else is working out well. I made a cutout in the metal frame of the case behind the front panel to allow room for the USB and power and reset switches. Not the greatest cutout job, I could clean it up a little but you don't ever see it.
    I also went ahead and stained the front panel, even though I haven't drilled the holes for the switches.
    I epoxied the DVD drive door to a piece of MDF in the front panel.

Also thanks again to Thermaltake for the PSU which is on the way. I'm glad they agreed to sponsor me as I have other kit I have bought from them that I really like.

Anodized

Day 17:
    Not a great deal done today as I am waiting for my PSU from Thermaltake before I can do the electricals. I cut out a fan grill and fixed it to the top panel. As there is no room for a fan, the grill pretty much just works as passive cooling by letting heat out - hot air rises.
    I also put the switches on the front panel. As the switches came with no information for wiring, it will be a guessing game to work out how to wire them up...might need some help from knowledgeable case modders.

Anodized

Day 18:
    Worked on some electrics today, not sure if I have done it right until I hook up the switches to the motherbaord. In the photo, I just tested the wiring for the power on using a 9V battery.