Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: in board movie MOD?!?!?

Anodized

Default in board movie MOD?!?!?

I got an idea from the Doom 3 inspired computer (BTW awsome job...hope I can get that good one day, have to start first hu?). I want to put a little monitor on my computer...but I want it to be like star wars or lord of the rings theme...or maybe x-men...not exactly sure yet...guess it will depend on money avalibility and difficulty...but any ways...

I wanted to build my computer to have the little monitor on front and wired to an independant DVD player in the computer and then run a loop of all 3 Lord of the rings movies (if lord of the rings theme) and just have it running all of the time while the comp is on... anyone know if I could dowload the DVD to a computer and cut it and splice it together and make it join together seemlessly without any end credits previews, menu... basically run like a CD and just keep repeating sort of thing.

Another is I have seen a commercial for a Plasma TV that has lights on the back that change color according to what is on the TV,....I would like to incorporate that into the lights inside the comp....and know if that is even feesable(misspelled)??

Anyone have any ideas??

Water Cooled

Default Re: in board movie MOD?!?!?

I think you are going too complicated

Overclocked

You're talking about doing some programing on top of messing with hardware. Do you know Java?

Math,
    the way those plasma TVs work is they change color according to what is on the tvguide software. lets say it turns blue for movies, green for sports, red for news, get what Im saying, its scanning the cable in feed. As for the movies loop simple, you can even use the free widnows moviemaker if all you wanna do is cut the credits and adjoin two others together. Your gonna need like 12gb of memory if you want to have all 3 2+hours DVDs open and ready for compilation though, they should be ripped and turned to divx\xvid however and let it run off the system. If however what Im reading is that you want the movies to keep playing even when the machine is off from a seperate and independant DVD player then thats also simple. Most mini screen have standard connectors attached to them, even the ones that do not arent too difficult to incorperate onto the LCD itself. Look for a screen which is prewired and ready to go right out the box. Good luck

Rachel, shouldnt you be in class?

Overclocked

If that's the case, the screen will burn out fairly quickly. If Zed's post is what you want, either commit yourself to a good quality LCD, or buy a cheap, replaceable solution. In an always on situation, the middle of the road is not the wisest of moves (cost/replacement.)
    -=-=-=-=-
    When computers collide, Bob is born
    And remember, boys and girls, it's better to say nothing, if that's what you know.

Overclocked

Quote Originally Posted by ZeD
    Rachel, shouldnt you be in class?
    How did you know? That's a little creapy. I was in class. In Tech Prep. I'm suppost to be working on my Capstone in class but there wasn't much for me to do there. Technically I'm still suppost to be in class but it's early, early release day. We got out at 12:20.

I guess there are easier ways than using java. But you could get your PC to do the things you want it to from using java. I'm pretty sure they use java in microwaves and stuff. If I looked hard enough I bet I could program something in java to do that. But it would be hard and I'm not good at java. I have used java before though.
    Last edited by Rachel; 04-12-2005 at 02:11 PM.

Anodized

I wasn't really planning on leaving it on all the time. just while the comp is on..I know it is complicated..but I like to think big and then weed out what I can't do and work from there, cause to me it is easier to cut out parts and make it smaller than to add stuff and make it bigger ya know. But that is just how I think...

back to you Modders....

Overclocked

Is programing in java way beyond you? Because to get the computer to play the DVD when you turn it on is only a matter of using java. It could be hard to program or pretty simple. If this sounds like something you'd want to try I could ask my teacher about it. He used to be a programmer so this is right up his ally.

Mattman, this should get you started.

Hacking a PS1 screen

I picked up a couple of these on ebay for about $25 a piece. You'll also need a car power supply ($10-15) that you can hack. You have two options depending on your video card. VGA or S video, IIRC. VGA is supposed to be clearer but requries soldering. That'll get a small monitor in your case.

Movies can be ripped using something like dvdshrink or similar. I'm not sure how you'd direct the video to a separate monitor unless your video card supports it or your dvd as you suggested.

Anodized

Yeah would you ask your teacher Rachel

and the PS1 screen seems good..do you think it would work with a PS2 drive?(don't know what you would call it after you modded it into your comp.)

sorry if this is just getting to complicated, but if it wasn't it wouldn't be a challenge, and if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be fun, and if it wasn't it fun I wouldn't like to do it. Did I lose anyone?