Thread: WTF???? ....NY Times, I expected better of you...

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default WTF???? ....NY Times, I expected better of you...

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...r%20cut&st=cse

My favorite bit (emphasis added):
    Jaron Lanier, one of the deepest thinkers on the impacts of technology on society and an “innovator in residence” at the Annenberg School at the University of Southern California, worries about companies like Facebook and Twitter not paying their users while the people lucky enough to work for them become rich from free user-generated content. Mr. Lanier says that as more money flows to those who build these networks, society distorts and divides. Those without the skills needed in this new economy — other than to tweet and post pictures — can fall further behind economically.
    ..yeeeeaaaahhhh.... I weep for the future.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Re: WTF???? ....NY Times, I expected better of you...

Doesn't this guy understand anything about business at all?

The point of a business is to make money. That's the first and most important point. To generate revenue.

Facebook isn't taking the status updates and pictures of cats and whatnot and selling those -- they're selling ad space on their website -- basically selling hits.

I would understand it making sense that Facebook pay it's users if it actually sold the content it's users created or shared, but they don't (and most of that content is crap anyways).

That article really is disappointing considering where it's published.

i5-3570k @ 4.40GHz // R9 380X @ 1020MHz // 2x Samsung 850 EVO SSDs // 2x 2TB HDDs
    Fractal Design Define R2 XL "Monolith"

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

hey hey hey, let the man talk!..... maybe I can become a twitter and facebook spammer and make trillions!!!
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Custom Title Honors

unfortunately that's the mentality that we've been headed towards these past 3 (or more) years. companies and businesses don't deserve to keep the money they make. they should not be allowed to turn a profit. all profits should be given back to the low lifes that refuse to work. a free handout for all based on the income of those who earn it. now i'm not saying that corporations are not evil and they are all benign, but i am saying that all this talk of "redistributed wealth" sickens me.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

i am speechless.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Anodized

It's the "Entitlement Syndrome".

Our Nation is slowly turning this way. Many thanks to the Left and Liberal thinking portion.

Our very well being and way of life is being over-written and re-written with one goal at hand. Trust and Faith in Big Brother. I say Horse Pucky to that.

Custom Title Honors

^^^^ amen brutha... preach on!!!!!