Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for TIM info

Default Looking for TIM info

So, i'm looking for info on 2 different ends of the TIM spectrum

Best Overall to replace lapping a cpu

Best Non insanely expensive to replace lapping a CPU

I'm not really comfortable lapping my 2500K at the moment, but I want to overclock for the UW-LAN party, so I have till about Monday to order to make sure I have it by friday. I'm looking for a good not stupid expensive tim, that can make up for what I can assume are very poor surface mating from an intel heat spreader. My i7 would idle at 3.5ghz (i7 870) at about 30-35*C, and this 2500K at stock clocks is idling at 40*C with the same case, room, ambient, and cooler. Lapping will happen but not quite yet. Looking for a stopgap measure. thanks guys
    Not dead yet

Default Re: Looking for TIM info

sort of related, but interesting nonetheless: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/fea...al_pastes_face

Yeah, I keep hoping Kayin will stumble on this... he seems to know everything about paste.
    Not dead yet

You rang?

Best is Indigo Extreme, best cheapish is Prolimatech PK-1, last I checked.

I have something in the lab that might make people happy, though. Need to test it sometime.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

I have always used artic silver 5 but I herd they have this new diamond stuff.

If you can find it it is called ic diamond 7 carat thermal compound. When I herd about it a year or so ago it looked promising.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

should i put up extra? i think the problem is that theres an air gap that doesn't make contact.
    Not dead yet

More thermal grease is not a good solution. Check the flatness of the top of your die and the interface on the cooler. Best way is with a high precision steel rule or other flatness gauges. A set of automotive feeler gauges would work well too. Place the edge across the die top and see if there are any visible gaps.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by TLHarrell View Post
    More thermal grease is not a good solution. Check the flatness of the top of your die and the interface on the cooler. Best way is with a high precision steel rule or other flatness gauges. A set of automotive feeler gauges would work well too. Place the edge across the die top and see if there are any visible gaps.
    I already know that the cooler is flat, and the chip is warped. I'm looking for a stop gap solution before I lap the processor.
    Not dead yet

PK-1 ought to have enough bondline strength to handle that, and IX will as well. It's really best if you have a severely warped IHS, but you can also RMA it to Intel citing out-of-control thermals.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    PK-1 ought to have enough bondline strength to handle that, and IX will as well. It's really best if you have a severely warped IHS, but you can also RMA it to Intel citing out-of-control thermals.
    I'm getting insane thermals. lol... can I send it back to intel if i'm not using the stock hsf? I didn't even know you could do that honestly
    Not dead yet