Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it reasonable to build a computer case that uses heavy amount of leds?

Default Re: Is it reasonable to build a computer case that uses heavy amount of leds?

Haha, that sounds whack. As far as I know, most fire alarms in Finland (yes, I live here, but I don't mind ordering from other continents because I work in largest fin logistics company!), they seem to send some sort of radioactive particles from point a to point b, and if anything comes to block a particle (say, hazard smoke with all kinds of dangerous things to inhale), it will set off the alarm.

As long as it's not radioactive, I don't mind really using them either. I mean, it's not like my whole idea makes that much sense either. I just hope that when I turn a my first program on it, it won't explode. And if it does, at least it could explode reasonably well to make me forget how much time and money I wasted down the drain!

Default Re: Is it reasonable to build a computer case that uses heavy amount of leds?

Quote Originally Posted by Functional View Post
    Haha, that sounds whack. As far as I know, most fire alarms in Finland (yes, I live here, but I don't mind ordering from other continents because I work in largest fin logistics company!), they seem to send some sort of radioactive particles from point a to point b, and if anything comes to block a particle (say, hazard smoke with all kinds of dangerous things to inhale), it will set off the alarm.

As long as it's not radioactive, I don't mind really using them either. I mean, it's not like my whole idea makes that much sense either. I just hope that when I turn a my first program on it, it won't explode. And if it does, at least it could explode reasonably well to make me forget how much time and money I wasted down the drain!
    These devices I am talking about are not the sensor end of things. They are used in very large installations (think high rises and manufacturing plants) to do just about anything you want. They can be programmed to monitor a detector and provide continuous feedback to the main panel, or they can be configured to send a signal to the flashing lights and horns. Very versatile little devices and that is why I mentioned them. On their own I have used them to turn on lights, turn off a stereo and send an alarm signal back to my computer when someone walks into my office (the same unit did everything).

I am looking up the name now and will check on the cost. That may be the killer.
    "...Dumb all over, A little ugly on the side... "...Frank Zappa...

Sounds good.... and bad.

I got it now what you mean. And yes, they cost a lot. Usually, I believe, manufacturing plants et cetera uses a large quantity of those for various tasks and I think they'll get a straight discount for that alone.

Hmm. How realistic is it then to build my own circuit? Let's say, I have the soldering skills for that, but not the knowledge.

I could head over to another forum that would give me the knowledge to do so.

The only problem left would be programming it (in the best scenario). Since it will have to be programmed in that case pretty much from top to bottom.

Having that quantity thing assumed - this is just simply something I assume nowadays a lot because the logistics company for example that I work for, charges insane amounts for small deliveries. A 6kg package would mean a 70 euro delivery cost. Oh and that was 250km distance and not cross-country.

But when you get to the larger quantities and make a contract, that's another story. It'll be cheap and pretty much the reason that it's the biggest finnish-based company in here.

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/706/Default.aspx

This seems to be one solution. Only problem I have is how big that circuit is. But I guess having 128 channels means it's either that way or the highway.

And I'm speaking only for that circuit, not the program itself!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Was hoping someone else would remember what I was trying to think of...without me mentioning it...come on people, why aren't you psychic anymore?

What you want is a bunch of multiplexers. Basically, they're small, simple (read: cheap), ICs that accept a more complex input signal and use that to control multiple channels.
    More info here:
    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_9/7.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiplexed_display
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZyc6ulpkyM
    https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1918&bih=938

EDIT:
    Hmmmm, those LED cube videos are making me really want to make one....but big....with a stupidly huge number of RGB LEDs....hmmm....
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I see now. Thanks a bunch! I'll start on planning then. First gotta get ahold of one and a bunch of leds and see how it directly works.

I'd assume that you could get at least 4 leds to work through that method with just one channel? One Arduino could be enough already in that case for over 50 leds, but problem is, you can only connect it to 16 led groups due to physical limiations. But it does have 16 channels!

Check out the LadyAda Blog: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/ lots of good info on there about using RGB LED strips. They also did a project for a new year's ball with a mess of LEDs in it. It was set up to operate using Processing, which would do all the pattern and control work. Definitely worth going back through the blogs and seeing how some of this stuff is done.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin