Thread: Screen stays Blank

Default Screen stays Blank

All right, I'm waiting on the Flash drive with the new BIOS for my latest build, meanwhile I'm wondering if there might be a problem like the RAM being incompatible or something. Thought I'd post here and see if anyone could see something I'm missing.

P.S. I have already tried removing everything, testing each memory chip individually, etc. Every time I try to boot the screen stays black (yes it's plugged in and on).

ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and ...
    ASUS EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750 (CMPSU-750AX) 750W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active ...
    AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 [x2]
    Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F60GBGT-BK 2.5" 60GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) [x2]
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit - OEM

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Default Re: Screen stays Blank

I'm assuming you've read the mobo manual, etc.

Basic troubleshooting methodology is to strip the computer down to skeletal essentials - ie: mobo, PSU, keyboard, display, a boot drive ... see if it works, introduce one piece of hardware at a time until it all works or the last piece caused a fault.

Troubleshooting persistent inexplicable problems usually involves swapping hardware out one piece at a time. Test the system with a "known good" replacement, and test the hardware component in question inside a "known good" system.

If all else fails then the culprit is usually bad BIOS. Restore to factory defaults and work from there. If BIOS isn't the problem then it's likely an unmanly PSU which fails intermittently or only under load. If PSU is good then mobo or proc is a lemon (assuming you tested your RAM as part of hardware swapouts).
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Other thing is bad caps.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

lol, sure, any of the caps (or other hardware) on the mobo could have failed. But most people aren't willing to grab a soldering iron and break the mobo down into components.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Okay plugged in and on, but have you checked it with another machine or different cables?
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

The monitor works, or I wouldn't be able to read your response

I've been back and forth with the ASUS techs and it looks like the Motherboard is borked. Tried a new BIOS chip, etc. So, waiting on my RMA status now.
    The Ghostwheel Project
    "A lot of theoretical crap involving space and time and some notions of some guys named Everett and Wheeler."

:: Spectre : GHOST 38.1 Mk1 : GHOST 38.1 Mk 2 : GHOST 38.2 ::

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    The monitor works, or I wouldn't be able to read your response
    Wasn't sure. I've had a monitor that worked when it was unplugged never turn back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Well, I almost got a dell motherboard working from replacing caps.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta