Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, I'm building a thermoformer.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Default So, I'm building a thermoformer.

Hey guys,

I'm about to build a vacuum former for future mods and whatnot. Simple versions are pretty easy to make, but I am making a fairly large, complex one that will be able to perform very well and get a lot of accuracy. I'll make sure to post pics of how it is made once I begin.

However, I need some justification for building this huge machine. I was just wondering, would anyone here be interested in some custom made vacuum formed parts? I thought that it would be a great thing for the modding community. I remember a guy on the PimpRig.com forums who did custom fan grills, and he really helped everyone out a lot. I'm not looking to open a business - but perhaps this could be beneficial to the modding community.

And, if anyone feels like taking a stab at it, you should try building your own thermoformer. There are plans out there for building some little ones, but none that I could find on building large ones, with ceramic heating elements and whatnot.

Give me your feedback.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Rankenphile

Default Re: So, I'm building a thermoformer.

Interesting stuff, Ty. What do you have planned for it?

A great thread made by the guy building the UAL 737 case on GruntVille is here, and has a ton of great advice and such about building a thermoformer. You may notice that one of the regular posters in that thread that seemd very helpful was good ol' CrazyBillyBob. Make sure you talk to him about this, he seems like he knows what he's doing. Or at least he's good at faking it.

Lol,

Thanks for the link. I saw that thread on the homepage on TBCS a bit ago, thats where I actually got the idea for it. I always wanted to have a vacuum former (I've got a wierd thing for plastics), but never even imagined it possible in a home environment until I saw that. I have modified the design quite a bit, so the heating element is suspended in the air, with the plastic sheet below it. When heated, the plastic sheet will unlock from below the heating element and slide down, over the buck, where the vacuum will engage. Mine will be large by industry standards, but I don't think I will make it nearly as big as Boddaker's.
    Typo:

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rankenphile
    You may notice that one of the regular posters in that thread that seemd very helpful was good ol' CrazyBillyBob. Make sure you talk to him about this, he seems like he knows what he's doing. Or at least he's good at faking it.
    I spent Quit abit of time researching possible tools for making R2 parts. Very early on I looked into Vac forming (also how you make Stormtrooper Armor). I amassed a ton of knowlage and websites while working on R2....I really don't know everything ....But I'm willing to learn. That's one of the big reasons it's taken 2 years and R2 still is not finished...1/2 of it has been research!

Bods is a Huge Vac table for home use, and the quality of pulls he's getting just shows that buck preping is very important. Just as important as being able to generate enough heat, and more important then haveing a super strong vacum.

Good Luck Tyb, After the last case you did...you have my intrest peaked... Let's see what you can do!

Crazybillybob

Thanks for the kind words, Billy bob! I actually just came upstairs from finishing my mod once and for all (updates later)!

I have also been ALL over the internet looking for info on vacuum forming for a long time now, gathering and drawing up plans.

I am actually using a heating element from an indoor electric griddle... it goes up to 400 degrees F, but I think I will still need to build some sort of aluminum housing to keep in the heat.

I have very little experience working with scuplting, so I think making the bucks will be a challenge for me. I know you can use all kinds of different materials, but it seems like bondo has worked quite well for a lot of people. Perhaps I will use that for smaller bucks (it's expensive!).
    Typo:

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Drywall Joint compound. Comes premixed and you get 5 Gal for cheap. You can buy a bucket of pre mixed and if it's too thin, add some of the dry mix type. It shapes and sands well. Plus it will handle the heat (some people use it in lost wax\foam metal casting as an outer coating on the foam....better surface finish). Plus you don't have all the toxic vapors like with bondo.....Downside is you've gotta make sure it's good and dry or you may have steam issues (not likely but could happen). Also use wood or other materal to be the bulk of the buck, only the outer 1/2" or so needs to be filler.

Good man!

Crazybillybob

Quote Originally Posted by crazybillybob
    Drywall Joint compound. Comes premixed and you get 5 Gal for cheap. You can buy a bucket of pre mixed and if it's too thin, add some of the dry mix type. It shapes and sands well. Plus it will handle the heat (some people use it in lost wax\foam metal casting as an outer coating on the foam....better surface finish). Plus you don't have all the toxic vapors like with bondo.....Downside is you've gotta make sure it's good and dry or you may have steam issues (not likely but could happen). Also use wood or other materal to be the bulk of the buck, only the outer 1/2" or so needs to be filler.

Good man!

Crazybillybob

Thanks CBB!!! I never would have thought of that, that is an excellent recomendation. I am going to Depot soon for all the parts, and I will make sure to pick some of this up.

Thanks!
    Typo:

Hey guys, I've got a question for everyone who may know.

I am about to buy the supplies to build this, and I need to make a choice on material.

"L" angle aluminum is quite pricey, and I was wondering if I could just make an "L" angle out of wood instead of the aluminum to use as my frame.

This wood will be bolted to my griddle, which I'll be using as a heating element. The element's maximum temperature is only 400 degress F. Would wood be an okay material here, or will it burn/catch on fire? And if wood won't work, could I use something else, like say, MDF, etc.? I just am looking for something a bit cheaper than aluminum angle (*shudders at price of 12 feet of it*).

EDIT: Idea: I have never worked with backerboard before. It is mostly concrete, I believe. Would it be cut easily into strips that I could make into an angle?
    Typo:

Change in plans. I can't live with a little vacuum former. I KNOW that in the future I will always want bigger. It's just who I am. So I've decided, I will buy another heating element, and put it right next to my other griddle. That will give me about a 20" x 20" molding area maximum. I'll use some aluminum bar to support the griddles, and the bar will be connected to a wood frame.

The plastic sheet will be suspended below the element and will disconnect for when you want to mold over the buck. So, you will heat the plastic, unclamp it, and pull it over your mold, switching on the vacuum.

I am going to go build a mock-up.

Design drawings / a work log perhaps later.
    Typo:

Aluminium angle channel (that "L" shaped stuff) isn't that expensinve if you buy it in large amounts. I think 8-10 feet is about $10 at home depot). I would not use wood though, the plastic might stict to it or you might get grain in the plexi. If you can't find Aluminium cheap enough try a local scrapyard (yes they still exist), or look for scrap steel at a metal shop.