Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD Memory?

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Default AMD Memory?

Looks like Patriot will make memory for AMD

https://www.retailaccess.com/retailp...ertainment.pdf
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: AMD Memory?

I think moves like this are important for the DIY community as it takes out a large part of the hassle that comes with QVL lists. When AMD makes the rest of the components in your system, knowing your RAM will be compatible with everything may reassure first time builders.
    TheMainMan

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

I find this news to be most fascinating. I am a strong supporter of AMD, and I would like to believe that this tactical decision may help AMD to recover from the somewhat disappointing debut of their Bulldozer line of processors by giving them a greater variety of products to offer their customers.

Will this late entrance into the memory market work for AMD, or do such companies as Patriot, G.Skill, and Corsair already have too strong a presence in that market for AMD to have a great impact?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

The AMD memory is about compatibility with Llano more than anything else. Llano wants FAST memory to perform best, and this is the best way for AMD to QVL the stuff.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDragonJ View Post
    I find this news to be most fascinating. I am a strong supporter of AMD, and I would like to believe that this tactical decision may help AMD to recover from the somewhat disappointing debut of their Bulldozer line of processors by giving them a greater variety of products to offer their customers.

Will this late entrance into the memory market work for AMD, or do such companies as Patriot, G.Skil, and Corsair already have too strong a presence in that market for AMD to have a great impact?
    RAM is another value product for me. If the price point is right, I check the user reviews and pull the trigger. If two similarly priced and specced items are available, I still go by the user reviews instead of the company. The 8GB of DDR3-1333 I just got are Mushkin. I hardly hear that name thrown around anymore, but I know the name from as far back as I've been building PCs. I had the option to go with Kingston, Crucial, GSkill, and Corsair for similar RAM, but I had no problem going with Muskin at a 5 egg rating and a Shell Shocker price.

In other words it'll be the same for AMD memory, whether or not it's made by Patriot. If it works well, and especially if it is optimized for my specific set up, I've got no problem checking them out. I imagine that the 'new entry' designation won't affect them as much as it would other no-name companies too. A first timer picking up a Phenom will flip over to RAM and will probably be more likely to grab the matching AMD RAM too, whether or not they know about RAM-Proc-mobo compatibility and recommendations. That's probably the executives' thinking as well.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!

I generally ignore QVL. What matters are the technical specs; speed, timing, etc. And cost. If the specs match and the price is right then it doesn't matter who made it and whether or not it's on some approved list. Plug it in, it works (or it doesn't), end of story.

Perhaps I'm cynical because of my bad experiences with megacorporate technical bureaucracy crap ... where companies like IBM and HP go out of their way to build slightly proprietary or - when they have no other choice - they brand and rebrand the parts (hiding all the real specs and manuals) so much that it's impossible to tell what's what without a ton of chasing circles around idiotic corporate part lookup indexes.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

I'm having to dump my quad-socket Opty setup for QVL issues. It matters sometimes.

FB-DIMMs, here I come. Least they all work.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
    . where companies like IBM and HP go out of their way to build slightly proprietary or - when they have no other choice - they brand and rebrand the parts (hiding all the real specs and manuals) so much that it's impossible to tell what's what without a ton of chasing circles around idiotic corporate part lookup indexes.
    hahha why wasn't Apple the very first in your mention of companies who do that?

I mean come on... We all know thats a caviar black in that mac, i can see it in the CPUID man.

But i guess if people knew that then they couldn't charge 400% more for it.

Well damn apple does still list the price of a GTX280 at 359.99$ to this day and like ATi 5870's go for 450$ so i guess they're just confident that there herd of macaholics will purchase it despite the price.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

TGS, your side-by-side comparison of Apple vs. home-built comes to mind.

Can you do one of the laptops, perhaps? Same specs and all?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

I suppose Apple is a leading bastard in that practice. I've just had no real experience with their products - but IBM and HP systems have caused me a lot of headaches. Just overpriced versions of Gateway junk, they might as well paint the same cow markings on their stickers. At least companies like eMachines don't pretend their junk is not junk, nor overinflate their junk prices (too much).

Dell is not really junk, mostly, but I feel it's overpriced and wouldn't buy Dell for myself. However, when people (like my parents) ask what sort of computer they should buy - without knowing what they want, or why, or how to use it - then I'll often recommend Dell.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.