Thread: Fibre Glass

Question Fibre Glass

Question:

I need to find some fiberglass to make a cooling funnel for my server, Im in the UK, and i tried google, but i can't seem to find a company that sells it, all i need is like the rolls that i've seen people use,

The stuff that looks like bandage, and you cote in a liquid to make it hard surface.

Sorry if i haven't been very descriptive but this is the first time i have used fibreglass and this is why im using it on my server, it is built into a desk and i wanted to improved the cooling on my hard drives.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

Default Re: Fibre Glass

Hi, XcCom.
    Got a few places you can try.

Here
    Here
    Here

Haven't tried them or fibreglass before, but I have read that it can be quite tricky. You'll have to keep us updated on how it goes (as well as lots of pics)

Used to live in Doncaster, spent many an hour in Sheffield, many, many, many years ago.....
    Sarcasm - Is only one of the services I offer.

Quote Originally Posted by XcOM
    I need to find some fiberglass to make a cooling funnel for my server, Im in the UK, and i tried google, but i can't seem to find a company that sells it
    Since it's used in cars, have you tried your local Halfords?

Thanks UK-Blade and xmastree,

I have tried the halfords website, i couldn't find anything about fibreglass there, thanks for the first link UK-Blade, this looks like a god site, they sell complete kits.

I might go into Halfords and have a looksee, but i dout they sell fibreglass as there more into,,,,,Modding with pre made parts, not kits to make stuff yourself.

Cheers guys.

Mary had a little lamb. It bumped into a pylon. Ten thousand volts went up its arse and turned its wool to nylon!

You could try...wait for it...carbon fibre! "What?" I hear you cry. "It's expensive!" dunno about that...was on Mashie's website this morning, he used it for somestuff. Looks like it's not as expensive as i thought it was.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

Carbon Fibre would look good, but im not creating a panel, the shape i am creating, i souldn't create a smooth surface i am looking for.

I think i will stick with fibreglass, as i found that Company from the first link, there on ebay, and the kit i want is just short of 20 quid inc postage.

So i will stick with fibreglass.

Fresh Paint

The price of carbon fiber is about to spike drastically world wide, due to the impending construction of the new 787 Dreamliners. Carbon fiber producers around the world are beginning to recommend the use of FRP over carbon in the coming years, unless carbon is absolutely neccessary. If you want to do it out of carbon, do it now, because in a year or so prices will be double for raw material.
    Fix Reason firmly in her seat, and call on her tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Water Cooled

I don't think there is much to worry about. Carbon fiber comes in many different ratings and the kind used for plans is much higher quality than the kinds you get for mundane applications. If prodution is stepped up then there will be lots of "bad" batches and seconds that will do just fine for what we want it for. Prices might actually drop.

http://www.carbon-fiber.com/ has a nice little write up about the grades and PITCH vs PAN mfg proccess
    Acrylonitrile (AN) is used as a raw material in acrylic fibers, ABS resin, AS resin, synthetic rubber (NBR), acrylamide and other materials. Global production capacity is 4.67 million tons, approximately 60% of which is consumed for acrylic fibers
    Don't fret there is lots of carbon available in the world.

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Xcom,

Check out my R2 worklog, awhile back I started laying my first bit of fiberglass. It's got some good beginner tips init (Learn from my mistakes ) I also have a bit in there about making a mold (which you'll want to do for your app).

Just make sure you do a few things when working with fiberglass.

1: )NEVER DO IT IN YOUR HOUSE (the vapors are toxic, and the peice outgases for a week or more)
    2: )Buy and wear a resperatior (not one of those cheapy white paper things either) Because the vapors are toxic.
    3: )Work in a wel ventailated area (even with a resperator, after the vapor levels get so high...it will get in)
    4: )Don't smoke or work by open flames (vapors are flamable, and Toxic)
    5: )Wear rubber gloves (not letex the resin will eat them)
    6: )Wear Saftey glasses (the resin and fiber dust is not good for your peepers)

This needs to be done anythime you work with fiberglass (the dust from sanding it is very abrasive and can cause damage to your lungs)

Also when sanding down the part to smooth it out or prep for paint, wear long sleeves as the fiberglass dust can cause skin irritation (Itching).

There are pictures of the correct type of resperator and gloves in my worklog. http://www.thebestcasescenario.com/f...ead.php?t=1092

Good luck, and post pics!!!:p

Crazybillybob

Rankenphile

...and whatever you do, don't wash the clothes you used when sanding fiberglass with a load of other laundry - everyone else in your house will kill you, because the fibers will get into everything.

My grandfather, many moons ago, worked with fiberglass for a long time. Every once in a while he would toss his overalls into a load of laundry with the rest of the wash, and suddenly everyone had very uncomfortable underpants.