Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project: Mod in a Week // "Fallout Cause SP"

ATX Mental Case

Default Project: Mod in a Week // "Fallout Cause SP" (True Final Picks)

Hi Everyone,

This is the third and final mod of the season for me. I am currently waiting for my philips ambx to arrive for my "AIO AL" (a.k.a. "Nameless" mod also posted on here) and to get my hands dirty on finishing the remake of the horns and other details on "Diabolo" (also posted on here). All three will be on show at the MLP event in Murcia, Spain from the 6th to the 11th of December.

Fallout Cause SP (Slim & Passive) is the succesor to my fav mod of my own creation "Fallout Cause", it was just a paintjob yet it was before I got in to making worklogs and Iīve learnt so much since then that I want to do something new in the same style as FC was.

About the conditions, maybe some of you remember my previous "Mod in a Week" project (a.k.a. Acid Burn), the conditions are the same, Start to Finish happens within a week, starting to day, Saturday 26-11-11 so it will be finished by Saturday the 3rd of December as the latest.

All products needed have to be bought/ordered and received within this period. This of course puts limitations on what I can use but thatīs also part of the fun in this kind of project.

I chose to start today as the products from the sponsor for this project arrived.

Informatica Outlets is simply the must go to website in Spain for great deals on hardware and all needed components to build a PC. So thank you very much Informaticaoutlets.com for your sponsorship on this project!

The products sponsored for this project are:

B-Move Slim II M-ATX low profile case

Intel Celeron Dual Core E3400

ASUS EN210 GeForce

Gigabyte G41MT-S2PT Motherboard

Other products sponsored include a memory card reader for the case, a 250gb seagate barracuda sata2 hard drive and an LG CD/DVD rewriter.

As the name of the project suggests, I am aiming for making the whole computer passive, i.e. no fans, which is why Iīve gone for the ASUS 210 low profile silent GPU, and the celeron intel cpu, as itīs a low end basic cpu, it should be the easiest socket 775 cpu to cool without fans, just a heatsink and decent thermal paste. Other products Iīve acquired today for this project are:

Thermaltake Mini-Typhoon CPU Cooler

2x2Gb Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz (I know this mobo supports up to 1333 but its fine, it will help keep the ram cool to underclock it plus I got a simply great deal on them).

Letīs start then.

1st Day - Saturday 26-11-2011

So Iīve done a quick bench-test to make sure all the hardware is working fine and in deed, no problems whatsoever.

Because the B-Move Slim II is a low profile m-atx case I pressume meant for an HTPC, most aftermarket heatsinks will not fit, but I canīt use the stock intel heatsink because itīs cooling power is virtually non-existant without a fan. So Iīve gone for the thermaltake mini-typhoon as I got a great deal on it and it has a decent copper surface that should keep the cpu cool enough without a fan. So I mounted it with Noctua NX-1 thermalpaste, and went on to do some temp testing without a mounted fan. On idle I get 54c, on stress testing, it doesnīt go over 76c now, this are high temps for such a cpu, but remember itīs being passive cooled and the temps are within safe boundaries so I can check that off the list.

Again because the case is low profile, the cooler will not fit even without a fan, I knew this, hell, I wanted this to happen so I could cut a hole on the side of the case to expose the copper which will add to the final look, if any of you have seen my original Fallout Cause, youīll know exactly what I mean : )

So, 1st, letīs cut the hole:

Now to test it on the case:

Very nice fit! next issue, the cpu coolerīs mounting possition means that the ram doesnīt fit because of itīs cooler, thing is, I like the cooler and rather not have to shave the trimmings off, so, did some measurements, and it would seem cutting off one of the cpu coolerīs pipes is the way to go, so thatīs what I did:

Now for mounting tests:

Now as you can see it fits fine but its in contact with the ram stick by very little, my question is, would this affect anything in any way? would it transfer heat to the ram heatsink or the other way round? Should I trim the ram heatsink?

Thatīs it for today, tomorrow I prep further modification to the case, I am planning on openings and signs of aging and damage caused by rust and the extreme conditions of a fallout post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Thanks for reading! : )

EDIT: Just though Iīd add based on a response on another forum, that I was very carefull when cutting the heatpipe in case I needed to weld it back on due to there being liquid inside that evaporates when heating, but there is nothing inside, with a bit of research I found that, not all coolers have this inside, is this normal? I know this is a low end cooler but, normal? thanks!
    Last edited by jdbnsn; 01-25-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Default Re: Project: Mod in a Week // "Fallout Cause SP"

That actually looks pretty cool lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

ATX Mental Case

cheers : )

ATX Mental Case

2nd Day - Sunday 27-11-11

Today is destruction day, I will make all the destroyed sections of the case to give it that fallout rusted out/cannonīd out look. When I get to the painting part I will aid this look by giving a rust look to all the edges and adding epoxy to simulate edges fusing togueter due to rust (i.e. the grills).

First thing however, is to trim that last lip of the memory module heatsink thatīs driving me mad due to it being in contact with the cpu cooler, so here we go:

Much better, itīs barely noticeable and it is no longer in contact with the cpu heatsink.

Now itīs dremel time, I have to say Iīm surprised at how thick and strong the metal is on this case, specially having in mind itīs a low end case so itīs mostly made out of scrap metal as they tend to do, I went through 2 heavy duty dremel discs in order to complete all the cutting. Once done I plied them backwards for two reasons, first, be it bullets, blunt tools or other, the impact would always be towards the case so it makes sense itīs pushed inwards, the second reason being to prevent sharp edges on the outside.

Here we go:

And that about does it, I though of adding more as certain parts of the case looked to "clean" if you know what I mean, but I can always add imperfections and artificial damages when doing the paintjob and itīs effects. I think my fav one is the chunk missing from the side that lets you look right in to the cpu heatsink.

Tomorrow I will add similar effects on a small scale to the front of the case obviously very carefully, donīt want to brake any of the hooks that attach it to the rest of the case.

But for today thatīs it. Thank you for reading!

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Well at least ventilation won't be an issue for you.

ATX Mental Case

well since the idea is that eventually no fans remain in this project I guess it doesnīt really matter ; )

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

you sure about running a CPU on a heatsink with a missing heat pipe and no fan?

ATX Mental Case

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier here but in any case, I ran a 4h long stress test with max temp only going 3c over the original test, i.e. max temp under stress is 79c which is within safe boundaries, I have however set an alarm (bios option) if the cpu should go over 85c which is way before damage can happen to it. I am not sure if it will degrade over time in the future, if it comes ot it, I have another exactly the same cooler (as I bought them as part of a 2x1 deal, which was quite cheap). On a side note, to reduce heat further (regardless of cpu cooler decision) Iīll be testing voltages and going as low as possible, the celeron in itself doesnt produce that much heat, but this should help it further, the ram is also underclocked (to 1333) running stable at 1.5 (original spec say 9-9-9-24 @ 1.8v 1600). The motherboard diode indicates 28c and the mcp is at a stable 37 (48 under stresstesting), the hdd is at 28-36, that about summs up all temps. My current mindwarp is figuring out how tu run the small 300w psu fanless, other forums have mentioned adding a rather large heatsink, will have to explore this.

I hope that answers your question Twig, thanks for the comment! : )

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

i'd s@#t my pants if i saw 174F for a processor temperature, I'd venture to guess intel's IA-32 Thermal stepping is taking over and automatically halting CPU cycles in a last ditch effort to keep the processor from burning up.

a new thermal protection mechanism was introduced, allowing for the processor to automatically control the processor temperature before reaching the catastrophic shutdown temperature but at the expense of temporarily reducing processor performance. Current IA-32 processors use internal circuitry to periodically stop the internal clock to most of the processor. All interrupts during the modulated period are delayed but not lost. The processor time stamp counter continues to maintain count even during processor modulation. The duration of modulation is typically 1 msec intervals. At the end of each interval, the processor will again operate at full frequency. If the temperature is still above the second preset temperature level, the processor will again modulate the internal clock. If the temperature drops below the second preset level, the processor will continue to operate at its normal clock frequency. The effective processor performance is approximately 50% of full performance.
    Read more @
    http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...118.htm?page=2

Not trying to hate, but temperatures like that can drastically reduce the life span of a processor from the expected 8 years down to 3 or less.. I mean they don't call it "Catastrophic shutdown temp" for no reason.

ATX Mental Case

Not quite sure I follow you here, 79c while high is well within safety boundaries, normally cpus will totally shut down at 100c as far as I know. Hopefully temps will be lower with lower voltage, but its the thing with trying tu run it passive, youīre bound to run in to high temps