Thread: 2 Voltages out of 1 connector?

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Default 2 Voltages out of 1 connector?

I'm using an OCZ 100W ZX series PSU for my build and it is fully modular. It has a single 12V rail. I'm making all my own custom cables and I want to know if I can get 2 voltages out of 1 connector.

Here is the 5x1 connector that goes into the PSU.

I know the Red is 5V and Yellow is 12V and the 2 blacks are grounds. My question is can I use 1 black wire with each connector, so red + black and yellow + other black to make 2 different strings? I have 12V and 5V LEDs and I see no need to use all of the connectors on the PSU if I can do it with 1. There would be no more than 3 LED strings on the 5 and 12.

Please let me know if this is clear enough and if it is possible.

Custom Title Honors

Default Re: 2 Voltages out of 1 connector?

In my non-professional opinion I would say yes you could as long as you aren't exceeding the limits of the circuitry/wiring. With what you say you want to run, I can't see that happening.

A ground is ground is a ground. They all come back to the psu chassis at some point.

My thought process on why it would work.
    They are two voltages, they plug into separate sockets and run separate paths, they even have theoretically separate grounds. If you are completing a separate 5v circuit and 12v circuit, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

This is my 2c of course

Good Luck

*update*
    I did find this similar post. They were splitting power from Sata connections though.- http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/25...wer-connectors

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Custom Title Honors

yes, there is no reason you can't.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Agreed, it's already two different circuits with two different voltages, sounds like you're just redirecting them. See no reason it wouldn't work just fine.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Thanks guys! I'll be working on it now and will have pics in my next update.

If your LED banks aren't drawing huge power (ie: >30W on 5V yellow and >72W on 12V red, and >VA or >Wattage than the PSU is rated for on that particular connector point, and >6A on each of the black grounds) then just drawing the wiring out of the connector bundle isn't a problem at all.

Many things already plug into PSU connectors without using all the pins, and many of them (unfortunately) don't always wire their grounds properly ... I would expect every PSU engineer on the planet (even those guys in Shenzhen) designs around common grounds to accomodate as much (cost-free) safety, reliability, and simplicity as they can into their PSUs.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Use an online LED resistor calculator. Set up your LEDs in groups of 2-5 in series, then use a dropping resistor per your voltage and the calculator. I'd just pull from 12v and use the appropriate resistors.
    I have a hammer! I can put things together! I can knock things apart! I can alter my environment at will and make an incredible din all the while! -Calvin