Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2011 TBCS Secret Santa!

Default 2011 TBCS Secret Santa!

List of Participants: (I'll leave the list open until Dec 1st, so join if you can)
    d_stilgar (shipped)
    985323 (shipped)
    farlo (shipped)
    billygoat333 (shipped)
    TheMainMan (shipped)
    Datech (shipped)

We haven't done this in a while, and I've found that it works fairly well even with a small community.

Here's how it works. Sign up for the Secret Santa by posting your interest here. This is open to anyone who can post here without looking like a spammer, so spam bots, up your game. Also, send me a PM with your name and address so I can give it to your Secret Santa.

I will take all the participants and assign them someone to buy for. You then get that person a gift and mail it to them. Post a little wishlist if you like and put the prices down so your secret santa doesn't disappoint. Favorite candy is a nice place to start.

Rules:
    1. You need to be a member of this site.
    2. You need to post in this thread.
    3. You need to send me some personal information so your secret santa knows where to send a gift.
    4. If you are uncomfortable giving out personal information then don't participate.
    5. The gift must be legal to own and send through the postal service. I assume no responsibility in this matter.
    6. The rough max budget should be about $25+shipping. The gift should not be crap, but shouldn't be too expensive either. I don't want people to not participate because your means are small.
    7. This is for people in the US and Canada first. If you are in the UK feel free to participate. I will match you up with other UK members or send you something myself, my treat.
    8. Please please please, don't sign up and then quit. If you need to back out for any reason please let me know via PM and I will get people re-assigned quickly.
    9. Once you have shipped your gift, please post here that you have completed the quest. Nice!
    10. Don't open until Christmas, but when you do open, record a video and try and post it before new years so we can see what santa got you. If not a video then pictures are also awesome.

Tips:
    1. Post what you want in general or even specific, but post enough of a wishlist to be both surprised and to give your secret santa a variety of price choices.
    2. Buy and ship quickly. This needs to get there before Christmas. Don'y dilly dally.
    3. Tis the season of giving. Without killing yourself, try and do a little more for the people here. We are a community. Many of us have shared the good and the bad here together. This is a way to give back. $25 has been set as a benchmark, but if someone is wishing for a hard drive, or case, or processor and you have one lying around, maybe you can help them out.
    4. If you are of meager means, make something, give something of yours, and try and make it personal for the person you are giving to.
    Last edited by d_stilgar; 12-14-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Default Re: 2011 TBCS Secret Santa!

I'll go first:

I'm in! I want to participate so sign me up!

Wishlist:
    My wife is pregnant, so anything baby related. Baby's room will be loosely Portal themed.

Tron Sam's Deluxe Identity Disc. It's a toy, but I'm going to make a cool lamp out of it.
    I'll also need a Hand Metal Punch tool. I'll be hanging tron arcade tokens from it. Maybe you have one lying around.

These cards are neat and I'll probably never buy them.

Here's a slave flash for a project that's been in the back of my mind. I could use at least one of these.

Some book options:
    Walking Dead Book 3
    Gift Edition Ender's Game Hardcover

Frames always seem to be on my list, but perpetually at the bottom. These would fit a few prints I have.
    11x17
    17x24

I also like chocolate, like pretty much any chocolate. Almond Roca is a holiday favorite though. If you are in Canada and get me, you can send me something we don't have here. That's always fun.

I am Jack's smirking revenge. 985323's Avatar

Ill join in! So sign me up.

Wishlist:

Im a nerd as Im sure we all are But I like food too! http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/wacky-edibles/ab3f/ Single package is all.

http://shop.epicmealtime.com/collect...k-bacon-strips

Something cheaper would be http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/mugs/2a01/

This is Also an Awsome glass
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/giftsunder10/e917/

Or simple Wire glue http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/b70c/

I also like sour candy!
    Will

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

As much as I'd like to give, I'm a little short on funds.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by d_stilgar View Post
    Wishlist:
    My wife is pregnant, so anything baby related. Baby's room will be loosely Portal themed.
    I should give you the gift of sleeping now cause you won't be getting any in some odd months.

or a 24 pack of energy drinks.

im in, seems pretti fun.

Wishlist:

I'm really into music, generally of the metal variety. if someone is feeling super awesome I'd really like one of these in "pain and piss" or green.

something more affordable, I'd be happy with any of the Novembers doom albums(other than Aphotic and into nights requiem infernal which i already own) or any of the Woods of Ypres discography.

Something cheap, i need a Torx t10 driver, i wanna take apart my 360 to try and xclamp fix it, but havent gotten around to getting the needed torx.

other than that, random odd stuff would be cool as well.

I'm going to bump this since we only have three participants so far. Remember to PM me your info so I can send it to your secret santa on Dec 1.

I'm in, but it's late and I dont really wanna dig up prize ideas right now. haha. I'll get back to you on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

I'm in too. I'll grab some links and update in a bit.
    TheMainMan

I'm in. I'm not going to bother with a detailed wishlist, since that is part of the fun of Secret Santa. We did this on the SVRider forum last year with no wishlists, and my Secret Santa sent me the graphic novel The Walking Dead since he knew I lived in Atlanta and the show was filmed here. Neat random gift! Here's a few generic suggestions:

• A cool USB drive that I won't risk losing, preferably greater than or equal to 4GB. I see that USB3.0 flash drives are at decent price points all the way up to 16GB too
    • Any cool, small electronic stuff is always fun. Novelty Christmas ornament, a wall hanging proclaiming my geekiness, and any other random gag gift is always welcome too!
    • I'm an avid reader, and I like fantasy (Lord of the Rings - Tolkein, Magician - Feist), man on a mission (almost every Stephen Hunter book), and game lore (Halo books) epics and series. If you like any of those types and you know or like a series similar to them, send it my way!
    • Motorcycle or computer related stickers. I have a large topcase that I use for storage on my motorcycle, and I've been decorating it with brand and location stickers as I collect them. I put a Thermaltake badge and an OCZ SSD sticker on there already, and I'll probably getting AMD, NVIDIA, MSI, and Gigabyte stickers with this week's parts shipment, so I have no problem geeking out with other stickers.
    I would really like my Thermaltake prizes... Thanks everyone for my wonderful prizes!