Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobile Processor Help

Default Mobile Processor Help

Hi,

I have a Compaq Presario CQ62. I'm wondering if this processor is compatible with my notebook?

Thanks!

Default Re: Mobile Processor Help

short answer? Maybe. The socket is the same, but it all depends on what the bios will support, i would shoot an email to compaq. Make sure you talk to someone who knows whats going on though, not the low level guy who asks if you restarted your computer when you ask about the bios
    Not dead yet

Custom Title Honors

Don't forget to check thermal output even if the BIOS and cpu socket are supported. Also, do at your own risk! Laptops aren't like desktops in the sense of swapping parts.

OK, looked up the specs for you.
    Celeron 900 2.2Ghz SPEC
    Pentium Dual Core T4200 SPEC

I did this on a desktop. Put unsuppored (per sys board manufacturer) processor into my system. I went from a 65nm C2D to a 45nm C2Q. It didn't like it but it worked as a dual core at 800Mhz. BIOS update fixed everything and I am still using it. Chances are, the swap would work based off what little knowledge is currently known. WORST CASE- It doesn't work and you are out the 8-20 bucks it costs (check ebay). BEST CASE- A lot of performance gained.

Good Luck,
    Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

They seem exactly the same, and were released pretty much at the same time, except one has an extra core. Makes me wonder if perhaps Intel simply made a dual core version of the Celeron and rebranded it as a Dual Core?

Custom Title Honors

It's possible. per intels website, they should be OK being the same socket and same thermal output. The question would be if the BIOS excepts it. Unless you find a detailed list of approved procy's for your board/BIOS, you wont know until you buy and install it.

They don't appear to be too expensive either if it doesn't work out. Just remember to clean the contact points well and apply new thermal paste.

Good Luck,
    Outlaw

On Backup:: CPU- Q9300 Stock HS/F :: MB- Intel board :: RAM- 4 GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066 (2x2GB) :: GFX- 8800GS HDD- 320GB OS; 1x2TB Storage :: ROM- DVD-ROM :: PSU- Antec 48W :: OS- Win7 x64 :: CASE- CM Centurion 590 :: MON- Dell 1708FP :: MOUSE- Logitech G5 ::

Update! Also cross posting for laziness and to get a wider sample of replies. ^_^

The Laptop: Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM

The Processor: Celeron M 900

Socket Type: 478

Codename: Penryn

TDP: 35W

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-C...r.33961.0.html

So, assuming that the processor is even removable (From looking at similar motherboards on ebay, it seems that it might very well be), wouldn't I be able to basically drop any similar processors in and have it work? So long as they're 478, Penryn, etc etc?

Has anyone ever upgraded their notebook processors before? How did it go?

Thanks!!

Edit: Here is the service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542455.pdf

Processor info is on 4-47. It does seem that the processor is not soldered and is removable. There is also a list of processors there, but I can't make heads or tails of what it means. :/

Edit:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardwar...le/td-p/952727

Looks like I can get a Core 2 Duo, if that person is telling the truth. I don't see why not though? It matches up with everything?

Edit: And.. I have no idea how to flash a BIOS. Or if it's even required? Hmm.

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTeaPot View Post
    Update! Also cross posting for laziness and to get a wider sample of replies. ^_^

The Laptop: Compaq Presario CQ62-219WM

The Processor: Celeron M 900

Socket Type: 478

Codename: Penryn

TDP: 35W

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-C...r.33961.0.html

So, assuming that the processor is even removable (From looking at similar motherboards on ebay, it seems that it might very well be), wouldn't I be able to basically drop any similar processors in and have it work? So long as they're 478, Penryn, etc etc?

Has anyone ever upgraded their notebook processors before? How did it go?

Thanks!!

Edit: Here is the service manual.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542455.pdf

Processor info is on 4-47. It does seem that the processor is not soldered and is removable. There is also a list of processors there, but I can't make heads or tails of what it means. :/

Edit:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardwar...le/td-p/952727

Looks like I can get a Core 2 Duo, if that person is telling the truth. I don't see why not though? It matches up with everything?

Edit: And.. I have no idea how to flash a BIOS. Or if it's even required? Hmm.
    just a thought, if you don't know how to flash bios, how do you expect to take apart and put back together a laptop? i know how to do bios flash, and way more, but i can tell you from experience, on alot of older hp's, like the dv8000, getting there to the mainboard is a nightmare, especially if you lack the knowledge to flash bios. this may sound kind of negative, but i assure you it is meant in the best of intentions, i had a friend do something similar, and his laptop forever didn't run afterwards. even with dis-assembly instructions... and me trying to figure out what he did wrong.
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Quote Originally Posted by Cale_Hagan View Post
    just a thought, if you don't know how to flash bios, how do you expect to take apart and put back together a laptop? i know how to do bios flash, and way more, but i can tell you from experience, on alot of older hp's, like the dv8000, getting there to the mainboard is a nightmare, especially if you lack the knowledge to flash bios. this may sound kind of negative, but i assure you it is meant in the best of intentions, i had a friend do something similar, and his laptop forever didn't run afterwards. even with dis-assembly instructions... and me trying to figure out what he did wrong.
    I've taken apart 3 laptops before. The first 2 were primarily just out of curiosity... and it didn't end super well in either case. lol

But the last one, which was a DV6000 with that crazy faulty BGA issue where it needs to be re-soldered/re-heated to the board, was more or less a success. The only problem I had was that one corner wouldn't go down all the way, but it was barely noticeable. Another problem... is that I had like 7 screws leftover. lol Which happens to me every time! I swear they spawn themselves once removed...

I've never flashed a BIOS though. I have no idea or even a clue on how to do it. But, from what I've gotten in response on other websites, it seems like it'll work so long as I flash the BIOS correctly before taking out the Celeron 900 and putting in the new processor.

So, can anyone help me on that? Because I genuinely have no clue what to do or where to even get the BIOS from. :/

I went to the HP website and installed the BIOS from there, but, it's exactly the same as the one that is currently installed. So. Hmm. :/

That was stupidly easy, by the way. I was expecting something... more. lol

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyTeaPot View Post
    I've taken apart 3 laptops before. The first 2 were primarily just out of curiosity... and it didn't end super well in either case. lol

But the last one, which was a DV6000 with that crazy faulty BGA issue where it needs to be re-soldered/re-heated to the board, was more or less a success. The only problem I had was that one corner wouldn't go down all the way, but it was barely noticeable. Another problem... is that I had like 7 screws leftover. lol Which happens to me every time! I swear they spawn themselves once removed...

I've never flashed a BIOS though. I have no idea or even a clue on how to do it. But, from what I've gotten in response on other websites, it seems like it'll work so long as I flash the BIOS correctly before taking out the Celeron 900 and putting in the new processor.

So, can anyone help me on that? Because I genuinely have no clue what to do or where to even get the BIOS from. :/
    well, if you are intent on doing it, i will help guide you.

first off, having extra screws, keep them together, draw out a schematic on paper and label them so they all go back together, put tape over the screws on paper. when disassembling, its also best to use an esd wristband. usually you want to disassemble in a room with hardwood floors, nothing really conductive or static electricity bearing. that being said as precautions, lets get to bios flashing...
    DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. A FAILED FLASH CAN RESULT IN CATASTROPHIC RESULTS, THAT YOUR MAINBOARD WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECOVER FROM.

its actually pretty simple these days, most manufacturers create a .exe to run from within windows, with your bios update. they almost always check file, if that is the case. verify it is the correct brand/version you are updating, if it is phoenix (which with it being hp it probably is) make sure that is the one you download. go to HP's website for the product, and enter all the model specific info on the sticker on your laptop to get the most accurate results. when you run it, it is extremely important you do not lose power, or it shut down for any reason while updating, or you risk unrecoverable issues. its pretty easy, if its an exe run it, and just follow the directions. another nice thing about hp is they are known for overheating- bios updates sometimes help with that is what they told me, and weather i believe that or not, is a totally different subject. lol
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all