Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do Modern Motherboards Still Have PS/2 COnnectors?

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Why do Modern Motherboards Still Have PS/2 COnnectors?

You're not (around here at least). As long as you're not blatantly advertising them specifically, you should be fine. Sometimes, another forum has the answer.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

PS/2 is far superior, and uses less resources. USB was simply an attempt to get everyone on a shared bus, even if it sacrificed features.

Most of the top OCers use PS/2 peripherals,and they have the money to go with newer. Should look up polling rates, interesting stuff about how each works.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

outside the net, inputting games for pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    PS/2 is far superior, and uses less resources. USB was simply an attempt to get everyone on a shared bus, even if it sacrificed features.

Most of the top OCers use PS/2 peripherals,and they have the money to go with newer. Should look up polling rates, interesting stuff about how each works.
    PS/2 is not hot-swappable, and the pins on the connector are exposed to damage, unlike the embedded pins of a USB connector. If what you are saying is true, what would be a good solution to this situation? How can USB be improved to "use less resources," as you say, while still maintaining the features that make it so appealing? Plus, how much system resources could a mouse and keyboard possibly consume, especially in comparison to graphically-intense games or the playing of high-definition movies and music files?
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson.

"Those who would trade their freedoms for security will have neither." -Benjamin Franklin

Shut up and take my money!

From my understanding, USB is constantly being polled by the computer, which does use up some (however small) resources, whereas ps/2 is only sending data when a button is pressed. In order to fix the N key rollover issue, it seems like they would have to come up with custom drivers or firmware or something instead of the usual, to fix the issue. I guess they're just more interested in sticking with the normal, tried-and-true methods, and motherboards keep ps/2 for those who want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

Demon, every little bit counts when what you're doing involves strapping an LN2 pot to it. Benchmarking is a place USB simply isn't found, and since I still do it, that's what I'm using. Most good mechanicals don't come in USB either, and those that do don't support n-key rollover.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Shut up and take my money!

I've got the razer blackwidow ultimate pricey, yes but i love the backlighting and the mechanical keys are amazing, it's USB and while its made for gaming (certain keys have higher priority so that the 6 key rollover isn't as big of an issue), i could certainly go for n key rollover by ps/2
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw
    Will have another Aldersan pic in a bit.

Myrmidon

I still use a PS/2 keyboard. Sometimes I still have a need for parallel/serial ports too.

The way I look at it, if keeping the ports doesn't hamper performance of the board, and there is space on the back of the board, then boards should keep them. I don't need 12 rear panel USB ports. I don't have enough bandwidth starved devices that I would need that many ports, assuming each really had its own controller in the first place. People seem to forget each controller can support daisy chaining of up to 127 devices.

Variety is the spice of life. But the market segment that buys the same kind of boards I do just want to plug in a bunch of graphics cards and go play games, so what need would there be for ports besides USB, audio, and lan? The other ports look too ugly to be on the back of the case where no one can see it.

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

I have rarely used FIVE USB. I don't need a board with 20 rear-panel USB.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

I'm currently using 10 USB's - KB, mouse, headphones, external HDD, flash drive, camera, 2 dev boards (Arduino and ChipKIT), wireless adapter and the ipod dock. Granted I never use them all at the same time, but it's nice to have them all already plugged in so whenever I want/need them I just hook the cable to my device and I'm good to go

A hub would allow the same thing and you wouldn't need to lose variety in ports. If a group of devices don't need power they even make them in splitter type cables, so you can plug it into the back of the case as usual, and plug the devices into the hub/splitter.